KT66's just gave out..

Slaymoar

• Members

Bad news: Had them in triode mode, but I don't think they liked the B+ voltage in that mode.. That or the fact that I kept pulling them out and back in to perform circuit changes etc..

Good news: This means I'm starting a new build. Scrap this one and start with a fresh, clean build that will be my main gigging/jamming amp. Either EL84 or 6V6 based.. I will see. :thu:

• Members
:scratches head:

My battery in my car died, so I am going to buy a new car.

Makes sense right? :cop:

Yes, I am mostly scrapping it. Keeping the trannies and remaining tubes, knobs and other valuables. It is a MESS, was a great experiment, was fun. But think of it as the "practice" build. Because that's what it is.

Edit: As for the car analogy, well you left some parts out... "My battery died. I've been meaning to buy a new car for a while, since this car has two large holes in the floors where you can see the road, and the engine bay looks like puked up ravioli. This is was the push I needed to get a new car, finaly." :love:

• Members

KT66 tubes always kind of sounded muddy wherever I tried them. Really inefficient tubes too with all the current that the filaments need and biasing them hot...using a "correct output transformer" etc. Only getting 25 watts out of one. Not worth all the hassles.

• Members

KT66 tubes always kind of sounded muddy wherever I tried them. Really inefficient tubes too with all the current that the filaments need and biasing them hot etc. Only getting 25 watts out of one. Not worth all the hassles.

They use less filament current than an EL34 and provide the same power. Biasing them hot is done with most tubes anyways.. usually 60-70%. They are bulky, but I haven't heard mud.. Maybe the amp you tried them with didn't like KT66, or maybe you didn't try a real KT66.. Many of them are 6L6's in a KT66 bottle.

• Members

KT66 tubes always kind of sounded muddy wherever I tried them. Really inefficient tubes too with all the current that the filaments need and biasing them hot...using a "correct output transformer" etc. Only getting 25 watts out of one. Not worth all the hassles.

They're definitely not muddy in my Engl, which is the only amp I've tried them in, so I'm thinking that maybe KT66s weren't the problem.

Archived