Please School Me on 6K6 Tubes.

DaveGrima

• Members

I was scrounging through a miscellaneous tube box at my local guitar shop and found a GE 6K6GT tube. I knew it was a power tube and that it would work in my Univalve but thats about it. Anyone know anything about these tubes? I assume they're some kind of 6v6 variant? Any famous amps ever use this tube? Thanks for any info. :wave:

• Members

It sounds ok. Its pretty low power so less headroom. I like that for bedroom playing. The EQ response seems pretty flat. The treble sounds kinda dull and plunky. It breaks up nicely tho and makes for some very smooth overdrive sounds. Its not as chimey as the EHX EL34 I had in there before. I imagine its similar to a 6V6. I just ordered a Tung-Sol 6v6 so I can compare them when it gets here.

Another tube I found down there is an old RCA 12AX7A which is really nice. I put that in the v2 spot and it blew my mind. Made the amp just come alive. In fact thats probably more responsible for the nice, smooth overdrive than the 6K6. Im gonna try it with the el34 next.

EDIT: I was wrong. It was the 6K6 making the overdrive so nice. I definitely like the sounds Im getting with this better than the el34. In fact it pretty much sounds awesome on a second listen. The highs are a lot smoother and not as brittle. Im thinking I really like NOS tubes. Or maybe I just like this kind of tube better than el34s in this amp. :idk: This amp is so much fun! :D

• Members

One more question. I got an Amperex 8416 in the bundle of tubes I bought. I didnt know what it was at the time I just knew the brand name. Ive since learned that its some kind of HiFi audio tube. It looks just like a typical preamp tube tho. I was wondering what would happen if I put it in? It wouldnt {censored} my amp up would it?

Archived