The things that can happen to you...

colejustesen

• Members

It amazes me the things that can go wrong in a day... I took today off from work so I could do some work on my wife's car [it was acting like it was sputtering when on the freeway]. After I was done, I took it on the freeway to to see if there was an improvement. Everything worked great, so I swang by her work to drop it off and pickup my truck that she took instead of her car. As I was going home on the freeway, another driver's Thule cargo carrier flew off his vehicle and into me at 65ish mph... Of course the first thing that went through my head was fuuuuuuu.... Though it turned out pretty good so far, as it did minimal damage to my truck.

It made me think... had I been a few seconds later/earlier leaving my wife's place of employment, I probably wouldn't have been involved... It is crazy more {censored} doesn't happen...

TL;DR - {censored} happened to me

Here are some images of what happened to my truck... It could have been a lot worse!

20130102_145404.jpg
20130102_145436.jpg
20130102_145427.jpg
20130102_145418.jpg
20130102_145521.jpg
20130102_145448.jpg

Cole

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zehn

View Post

Damn dude that sucks! At least it didn't come through the windshield.

I thought about that too... If I was a few feet more forward than where I was, it could have easily been that!

I feel bad for the guy, he was legitimately sorry. He had a set of skis in the carrier that got totally screwed up. He kept apologizing, and I told him that I accepted his apology and that {censored} happens. I felt pretty calm the entire time; there was no need to exacerbate the situation...

I know insurance will cover everything, but damn, it sucks to be in both situations... Though I think he is honestly worse off than me... Those skis looked expensive!

Cole

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zehn

View Post

Damn dude that sucks! At least it didn't come through the windshield.

I thought about that too... If I was a few feet more forward than where I was, it could have easily been that!

I feel bad for the guy, he was legitimately sorry. He had a set of skis in the carrier that got totally screwed up. He kept apologizing, and I told him that I accepted his apology and that {censored} happens. I felt pretty calm the entire time; there was no need to exacerbate the situation...

I know insurance will cover everything, but damn, it sucks to be in both situations... Though I think he is honestly worse off than me... Those skis looked expensive!

Cole

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ovid9

View Post

Yeah, its pretty amazing more stuff like that doesn't happen. eek.gif

Glad you're ok dude!

Thanks wave.gif

It makes me wonder about all the near misses I have had, but didn't realize they occurred because they didn't happen to me... How many times have I got away with it? Hmmm....

Cole

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ovid9

View Post

Yeah, its pretty amazing more stuff like that doesn't happen. eek.gif

Glad you're ok dude!

Thanks wave.gif

It makes me wonder about all the near misses I have had, but didn't realize they occurred because they didn't happen to me... How many times have I got away with it? Hmmm....

Cole

• Members

Damn, you got lucky it just hit the front of the car.

Oddly enough, our Thule flew off our car on the highway as well. The latches/clamps that secure it to the roof rack rails seem to have become loose over time. It was empty and sailed across two lanes. freak.gif Super lucky that no one was nearby that time...

• Members

Oddly enough, our Thule flew off our car on the highway as well. The latches/clamps that secure it to the roof rack rails seem to have become loose over time. It was empty and sailed across two lanes. freak.gif Super lucky that no one was nearby that time...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by iff

View Post

Wow... fortunate for you that non one was nearby!

This guy told me that he got back from vacation and had put that on his other car [the one he was driving] but forgot to latch it down. The real crazy thing was that he drove to work this morning and was almost home when it came off... The sucker wasn't latched down, and it made it that long! It really amazes me... actually it is kind of dumbfounding.

It makes me think... maybe Yakima is the company to go with when I get setup for one of these systems biggrin.gif I am lucky for sure, it could have been really bad!!!

Cole

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by iff

View Post

This guy told me that he got back from vacation and had put that on his other car [the one he was driving] but forgot to latch it down. The real crazy thing was that he drove to work this morning and was almost home when it came off... The sucker wasn't latched down, and it made it that long! It really amazes me... actually it is kind of dumbfounding.

It makes me think... maybe Yakima is the company to go with when I get setup for one of these systems biggrin.gif I am lucky for sure, it could have been really bad!!!

Cole

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by greg apocalypse

View Post

Two things. One:

one of these???

thule-688bxt-atlantis-2100-cargo-carrier

You're right, that is pretty lucky. Following distance ftw, I'd say. Could gone in your windsheild!

two:

Were they both his skis?

4155-5456.gif

haha.... yes and yes!

The freeway I was on [at least at the location] has 4 lanes... He was in the lane just left of me, and I would say at least 20 to 30 feet in front of me... I am guessing on the distance, because I really wasn't paying attention to him. I was looking to change lanes and checking my blind spots... It happened so fast, but at the same time I felt like I was watching the whole thing slowly and helpless...

Cole

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by greg apocalypse

View Post

Two things. One:

one of these???

thule-688bxt-atlantis-2100-cargo-carrier

You're right, that is pretty lucky. Following distance ftw, I'd say. Could gone in your windsheild!

two:

Were they both his skis?

4155-5456.gif

haha.... yes and yes!

The freeway I was on [at least at the location] has 4 lanes... He was in the lane just left of me, and I would say at least 20 to 30 feet in front of me... I am guessing on the distance, because I really wasn't paying attention to him. I was looking to change lanes and checking my blind spots... It happened so fast, but at the same time I felt like I was watching the whole thing slowly and helpless...

Cole

• Members

I hate when {censored} like that happens.

My mom was headed out to the store Sunday night and while she was at a stop sign, she crept out a couple feet to see if anyone was coming... then all of the sudden some asshole with no headlights on grazes the front of her car with the side of his. They sped off and she never did get their plate number. I'm guessing they we're drunk and didn't want a DUI.

• Members

My mom was headed out to the store Sunday night and while she was at a stop sign, she crept out a couple feet to see if anyone was coming... then all of the sudden some asshole with no headlights on grazes the front of her car with the side of his. They sped off and she never did get their plate number. I'm guessing they we're drunk and didn't want a DUI.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bumhucker

View Post

That does suck... is she alright?

I had a guy drive into the back passenger panel of my truck and drive off without leaving any information. It literally moved my truck six feet from where it was parked! Fortunately it was just body damage and didn't affect anything mechanical. I wish bad karma on people like that.

Cole

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bumhucker

View Post

That does suck... is she alright?

I had a guy drive into the back passenger panel of my truck and drive off without leaving any information. It literally moved my truck six feet from where it was parked! Fortunately it was just body damage and didn't affect anything mechanical. I wish bad karma on people like that.

Cole

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen

View Post

Cole

Yeah, those latches seem almost temperamental... icon_lol.gif

On the bright side, it did save our car once...driving through a forest on dirt roads leading to our relatives' cottage, a dead tree trunk fell across the road JUST as we were driving under it, landing on the Thule and bouncing off. It worsened an existing crack and scratched up the car and Thule a bit, but not too badly in either case.

If anything, those Thules are seriously durable. Ours as been through a ton of punishment and is still doing great (other than the latches) with the help of a bit of tape to seal the cracks in the shell.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen

View Post

Cole

Yeah, those latches seem almost temperamental... icon_lol.gif

On the bright side, it did save our car once...driving through a forest on dirt roads leading to our relatives' cottage, a dead tree trunk fell across the road JUST as we were driving under it, landing on the Thule and bouncing off. It worsened an existing crack and scratched up the car and Thule a bit, but not too badly in either case.

If anything, those Thules are seriously durable. Ours as been through a ton of punishment and is still doing great (other than the latches) with the help of a bit of tape to seal the cracks in the shell.

Archived