How to find my alter-voice?

SirGuy

• Members

Hi, I'm new here. The only reason I made an account is because this is killing me. I can't figure out the answer by myself. :/ I go to church a lot, so, obviously, I am around singing and music on a weekly basis. My youth group also has it's own worship service and stuff, so I'm listening to live music almost 4 times a week. Lol.

About a month ago, I started taking music seriously. I've always had a passion for the acoustic guitar, so I picked that up and started learning it. I'm now pretty good, I know basic chords and stuff, power chords, bar chords, etc etc.

My only problem right now, is that I can't sing. As most of you are probably aware, there's a difference between /singing/ and /singing/. Like, I can harmonize with my normal talking voice, but it sounds all crackly to me. I know that I'm hearing vibrations through my cheeks and stuff, but shouldn't my voice be more... clean? I'm 16, already gone through puberty and that shhizznet, so I don't think that'd be it. :/

A friend of mine that plays at my church, he's able to go from talking normally to an almost country voice within seconds. I want to be able to do that. I want a singing voice that makes people jealous. How can I acheive this, and how long do you guys think it's going to take?

• Moderators

No matter what anyone says, the speaking voice and singing voice are different. You use your vocal cords to do both, but the difference between them is like walking and running. Main differences that are in singing is that you need to open more 'acoustical space' in your throat and your body muscles need to be more engaged. This needs to be trained. Some people may have a easier time with it than others, but overall most singers have done some training, self-taught or professional.

Its not really possible to know how long its going to take. Its mainly going to come down to how dedicated you are and how consistent is your progress. And if you want to learn how to sing just to make people jealous  then you're doing it for all the wrong reasons. Singing is a form of expression, it needs to be nurtured from something positive and sincere.

• Members

I didn't really mean I want to sing to make other people jealous, I meant I want a voice that's so good it MAKES people jealous. I'm willing to exercise my voice for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if it would get the job done quickly. I just need a basic direction of how to proceed, and what I need to do to get there. Breathing excersizes? Vowel excersizes? Scale excersizes?

Also, even though I don't have a good voice (right now) doesn't stop me from singing, but I have a lot of dificulty reaching the higher notes that other people are able to. I don't know if I can explain this well. It's like I have 2 voices. One lower/medium voice, the other airy/high pitched. Is that what's called a head-voice? Or am I just weird? lol

Thanks.

Archived