X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singing vibrato

I'm having a very difficult time with this. I can sing well and hit high and low notes but vibrato is very hard for me. I've been trying to achieve vibrato for the past few months but it just doesn't happen. There was one time while I was practicing where I actually did a perfect vibrato and it felt amazing but I couldn't do it anymore after that one time. I've read and watched many videos and tried stuff like breathing with diaphragm and equally letting the air out to each note and relaxing/opening the throat but it just doesn't seem to work. Sometimes I might have a very weak and subtle vibrato but I'm trying to get a fuller vibrato. When I watch singers in KPOP for example, they seem to do it so easily but I don't know why I'm having such a hard time. Anyone have some special tips? Can you do vibrato? Did it come naturally or was there something you did that helped you achieve it?

I've experimented a lot with vibrato. There's actually quite a few ways to make vibrato. There's natural vibrato and there's "fake" vibrato. Some singers can have a natural vibrato by opening up and relaxing the throat and having steady breath support. Natural vibrato is quite subtle but produces a lot of overtones. There's some exercises that might help "develop" or "encourage" vibrato, such as practicing trills by alternating up and down by a whole tone, then gradually increase your speed. There are also some singers that use a wide wooble by bobbing their larynx up and down repeatedly (I wouldn't recommend this method though).

Comment

• Aroidan
      Aroidan commented
      Editing a comment

I think recording is really essential for you to get better at just about anything you want to do. If you don't record yourself it is hard to pinpoint mistakes and work to correct them. When I was learning chess I recorded the moves, when I was bowling I recorded videos of me bowling, now I am doing the same for my vocals and it makes a huge difference in being able to get better rapidly.

One thing I will say though is that when you get a mic don't skimp out and get a cheap audio technica or something. Get a shure sm58 or something better. You will probably want to stick with a Dynamic Microphone as opposed to a condensor Microphone. Condensor Mics require phantom power which is something you may not have depending on the interface you get.

• LeeJoon
      LeeJoon commented
      Editing a comment
      I will try to post a recording soon. A big question is does the size of wherever you are impact how well you sing or how well your vibrato sounds? I've noticed that if I'm in a bigger area, my singing sounds clearer and I can do vibrato easier. I'm not saying it's a perfect vibrato but there's something and it's always in a bigger room. I can never do it in my car or my room which is like 13x12

• Masklin
      Masklin commented
      Editing a comment
      Acoustics of course play a role in how you sound to yourself and others, but that factor is not easy to control, so I suggest you ignore it and make the best of things wherever you are.

Room acoustics are a big thing but you can control them. My recomendation would be to try and deaden the room. To do this I would pick a smaller room like a closet or bathroom. Then get some blankets and hang them on the walls. You basically are trying to absorb as much sound as possible in the room. Hard smooth surfaces are reflective and echo, soft textured surfaces absorb the sound..

Comment

• LeeJoon
      LeeJoon commented
      Editing a comment
      Why do you suggest to sing in a smaller room rather than a bigger area where my singing sounds clearer and I can somewhat vibrato easier?

• BigVoiceTenor
      BigVoiceTenor commented
      Editing a comment

Vibrato comes easy to me,,,,however I STARTED singing vibrato back in my teens when I tried to emulate Johnny Mathis. I don't know how to explain doing it if you're having trouble singing that way, other than maybe find a singer you like that sings in that fashion and sing with them trying to "sound like them". There are vocal warm up exercises that sound like an alarm that help with vibrato.

Vibrato is invoking a muscular pattern that goes between two semi-tones. The function is as simple as changing between two pitches, however you have to find the 'pattern' that let's you do it quickly. Best way to look for that pattern is by practicing vibrato in your falsetto or head voice.

Now there's finding vibrato, but there is also applying vibrato. Vibrato can ONLY occur when the vocal tract is relaxed. It will never occur when the vocal tract isn't relaxed. If vibrato stops at a certain point, it means your tract isn't relaxed.

Also, places of undeveloped cord closure will always be a falsetto vibrato. If you want to have a full voiced vibrato at places where you break into falsetto, you would have to develop good cord closure first. Without knowing how to train cord closure for your higher notes, the best thing you could to is to keep your throat as open as possible. That's the best way to get some vibrato in that situation.

Comment

It is very important to sing with vibrato in classical singing but otherwise it may not be as urgent as you think. I have a lot of vibrato when I sing because if I don't my teacher gets upset. Also having vibrato means I'm singing correctly (for classical at least). But also like the others above mentioned, especially Davie, your vibrato will come naturally if your throat is relaxed and learning to always sing with a relaxed larynx is very important. You said you sing with a relaxed throat but you may not know how to check.

One of my teachers would have me slowly rotate my head in a circle while singing so that I couldn't tighten up. Try that. Also, if your larynx moves up or down you are using too many throat muscles unnecessarily. The vibrato comes from the diaphragm pulsing. It's not something you should make happen. It will just happen after many weeks or months of trying to sing relaxed. Singing from the diaphragm takes a lot of practice. Vibratto comes naturally from correct breathing, posture, and such. Make sure you're breathing deeply (you're stomach should expand) rather than shallow breathing (your shoulders will move. If your shoulders are moving, you're doing it wrong). Don't expect it to happen over night.

Hoped that helped.

http://www.ElenaHouseOnline.com

Comment

• staticsound
        staticsound commented
        Editing a comment
        Think of an old Buick, trying to start it up in the dead of winter. This is what vibrato should sound like...

• Aroidan
        Aroidan commented
        Editing a comment

The reason I say to use a smaller room is because it is easier to sound dampen. The reason you sound clearer in a larger room is because of the acoustics of the room. This can vary greatly depending on what is in the room, size of the room etc.

• raining_at_sunset
        raining_at_sunset commented
        Editing a comment

I've always found my voice and throat to be way too tense to relax enough to get a vibrato effect out of it. I actually found this cd set really helpful though...I wasn't able to get much out of it but I blame it on being way too nervous to try out the exercises around people and could only do them in an empty house...thus I didn't get to do them much. Loads of exercises that make you feel a bit silly but I'm pretty sure after doing them for a while it would help. Maybe other people here have tried this?

http://www.singingsuccess.com/products/learn-how-to-sing-vibrato

p.s I know this is my first post but I swear I'm not promoting this product!

Working...
    X