so i went to a local rock show last night

• Members

So friday night comes along. I had heard that there was a rock show with 3 local bands going on in town. I figured this show demanded my presence, and I also figured this would be an excellent opportunity to swallow a neat yet mysterious pill that someone had given me earlier in the week.

The bands were all good. However, the pill made me a stuttering idiot and it seemed like everyone was uncomfortably staring at me.

The highlight of the show was this: at the bar/club, there were a number of TVs. A few of 'em were tuned to baseball, and a couple of 'em were tuned to a show dedicated to hunting bucks and turkeys. Most of the audience was more captivated by the bucks and fowl on screen than on the stage.

I'm thinking I should drop the mic in favor of the rifle.

• Members

The animals will ignore you too,

keep the mic

maybe start a Ted Negent tribute act

i think you may be on to something.

instead of having bikini-clad go-go dancers on stage as originally planned, i will have duck and turkey decoys and maybe even a stuffed buck head.

cuz thats how we roll in the deep south.

• Members

This is exactly why I don't do originals anymore, people only want to hear songs they know. Unless you're in a town that has a great local scene...Austin comes to mind, or if you're a highschooler that can bring all your friends to the local VFW for a show, you're {censored} out of luck! Then again, my opinion is very jaded now. I'd rather play covers and make money. :D

• Members

This is exactly why I don't do originals anymore, people only want to hear songs
they
know. Unless you're in a town that has a great local scene...Austin comes to mind, or if you're a highschooler that can bring all your friends to the local VFW for a show, you're {censored} out of luck! Then again, my opinion is very jaded now. I'd rather play covers and make money.
:D

man, u sold out before u even made it! :(

ur originals are pretty good. u must play them in set. tell the crowd its from another band thats all over the radio and if they haven't heard it yet, its about time they get with it. they wont know a {censored}ing difference once their drunk. add a couple stuffed buffalo heads and duck decoys on stage and ur golden.

• Members

man, u sold out before u even made it!
:(

ur originals are pretty good. u must play them in set. tell the crowd its from another band thats all over the radio and if they haven't heard it yet, its about time they get with it. they wont know a {censored}ing difference once their drunk. add a couple stuffed buffalo heads and duck decoys on stage and ur golden.

Hmmm...buffalo heads and decoy ducks. :thu:

• Members

Dude, ditch the covers and go full-on original. Be an artist.:idea: If you're persistant and you're good, you will catch on. Cover bands are always compared to the original, and it's hard to compete against a DJ who plays the real thing and who charges less $$$ than a full band.

But if your goal is simply to have fun singing in public and perhaps bring in some coin (literally), then Free Bird and antlers will go a long way....:rolleyes:

• Members

...or keep the cover band to make money and get familiar with the landscape and start an original project on the side, use the cover gig to promote the original gig and see where it goes! Some of the promoters may know places you can play originals; whatever you do, do not do the bait-n-switch by playing originals during your cover gig, specially since you are a tribute band!

Rod

• Members

man, u sold out before u even made it!
:(

Yeah, just throw the originals in. That is where people mess up. They want to get up there and proclaim,"THIS IS AN ORIGINAL" like their three chord song is a masterpiece. Just play the originals and don;t say a word, if somebody asks, tell them it is a Krokus song that you guys reworked, or even better, if you are in America - tell them one of the former band members brought it in on a CD and they said it is an April Wine song or something like that. LOL

The people in the audience will never know.

• Members

.... and it's hard to compete against a DJ who plays the real thing and who charges less $$$ than a full band.

Isn't that the truth! Playing live rock music is hard to make money because so many people want stuff to sound like a CD. There hear a real drum and go,"What's wrong with that drum? It doesn't sound like any of the snares I have heard on a CD before."

I mean, just because it doesn't go "Bwooosh" like a Def Leppard snare sound, they think it is broken or something.

Incidentally, if you need a snare to sound like a Def Leppard snare - take the head off, drape a bandana over the entire shell, and put the drum head back on. tighten it to a low-to-medium tension, and roll out the mids on the EQ. Instant Imitation-Simmons/ Def Leppard snare. :lol:

• Members

Being in a tribute band, throwing in an original wouldn't work...lol. I never said I don't write my own stuff, I just have no desire to play for the door anymore...done that {censored} 10 years. I like getting a flat rate, I like not having to hustle for gigs, and I like the draw I get with a cover band. Yeah there is an over abundance of Djs, but this is Vegas after all. There are plenty of places to play. A Dj can "spin" the original tune, but nothing can compare to an actual show, with a live band. These drunk idiots think you are whoever your covering...it's fun to play rockstar ;)

• Members

Being in a tribute band

So, who do you guys pay tribute to?

I knew two guys who were in a Judas Priest tribute band in the Northeast, and they actually made fairly decent money doing it. Killer musicians.

Archived