Gonna pick up a new mic on Tuesday. Thinkin SM 58 beta

KingOfBling

• Members

Using a SM57 right now. Going to GC, got a gift card, plus they have a 15% coupon going on there right now for wired mics.

I was thinking a SM beta 58a. Was prowling youtube vids, and this seems good. Seems a lot better than the ol 58/58 with more presence and cut.

You know, I'll be using it both for recording demos and live.

What u think?

What's LDC mean? And Why?

oops...sorry :)

"Large Diaphragm Condenser" - the Beta 58 is a killer mic but even something like this is going to record better: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/a0933a662b5ed0e2/index.html

I'd get the 58, use t for gigs and experiement with it but if you get serious about recording your voice you'll end up wanting something with a little better frequency response...here's a good article on the subject: http://homerecording.about.com/od/microphones101/a/mic_types.htm

• Members

ok thanks. yeah the condensers have a much nicer sound, but I'll go with the beta 58a now. My recording is limited to just getting ideas down, ya know, not hifi stuff. And I'm always beating the equipment up and moving it every day.

The 57 is a little too phallic looking for me IMO. The bulb on the end of the 58a helps a lot to make it look less like I'm singing into a black penis. the mental image disturbs me sometimes. srs

• Members

Duke,

With your voice and singing type I would go with an Audix. I assure you that you'd be happier! Not a big fan of Audix for what I do but after listening to a couple of your songs and if I was doing sound for you...that would be my first choice!

For recording, get a cheap MXL V67, very inexpensive but true mic that you can eventualy send to Michael Joly and have it modded to perfection! You would be oh so happy! And if you go this route you can possibly buy both for the price of one Beta 58.

JMO

Rod

• Members

The Audix mic's have great gain before feedback in a very tight polar pattern, something that an old punk like you can appreciate! Basically you can get real close to the mic head, sing loud without causing feedback or getting bleed from other instruments. Audix also are very durable mics that withstand stage abuse for when you are banging the mic on your head on stage to shock the girls on the first row!!! :)

All kidding aside, Audix Om2 is a great tool for the right singer, give it a try when you go shopping, I assure you that you will be impressed!

MXL V67 is a non-expensive, Chinese made, large diaphragm condenser microphone that is commonly found everywere and follows the basic structure of build of many-many other made in china mics that sell for a lot more money! It is a great mic for male vocals and for someone looking to step into the LDC world, decent flat response for such a cheap mic.

Michael Joly is a microphone wiz and the owner of Oktavamod.com , he mods microphones by tweaking electronics, etc tunning them into real recording tools! He can take a V67 and make it sound as good or better than mics that cost hundreds and hundreds of $$$ more. What this would do for you is allow you to buy a cheap LDC now that is very usefull and can be modded later to give you an even better tool in the future.

Rod

• Members

The Audix mic's have great gain before feedback in a very tight polar pattern, something that an old punk like you can appreciate! Basically you can get real close to the mic head, sing loud without causing feedback or getting bleed from other instruments. Audix also are very durable mics that withstand stage abuse for when you are banging the mic on your head on stage to shock the girls on the first row!!!
:)
All kidding aside, Audix Om2 is a great tool for the right singer, give it a try when you go shopping, I assure you that you will be impressed!

Everything Rod says is bang on the money. I have been using an OM3xb for nearly 10 years now - including gigging it for 7 - and it has never let me down. Solid as a rock and I will add that it is one of the clearest cleanest sounding mics I have ever sung into.

Big "+1" here for Audix.

• Members

According to the Audix's website matchmaker, the following 3 mics will satisfy my desires:

Audix OM7 - $$$ - One of the most highly regarded microphones for pro live sound. The OM7 is a non-conventional mic in that it is purposely designed with very low output stage - kind of a natural pad if you will. It allows the mic to be used in extremely high noise environments where every dB of gain before feedback is important. The OM7 can take a ton of SPL without distortion. However, the mic is very very tight so you must stay right on top of the microphone to reap the benefits.

Audix OM11 -$$$ - A remake of the OM1, the very first OM mic to be produced back in 1986. It is a heavy duty mic with a very aggressive sound and ideal for rock, metal, and vocalists with attitude. The OM1 is extremely clean, has the lowest handling noise of any dynamic mic you can find, and provides exceptional gain before feedback.

Audix OM5 - $$$ - The most popular Audix microphone in the OM series for professional use. Like the OM7, the OM5 has a very tight pattern and requires that the singer stay right on the mic to get the full benefits of feedback control and isolation from the mic. If you wander off the mic, you will lose signal, so in these cases it would be better to consider the OM3 or OM6.

The OMs listed above are all HYPERCARDOID...how does this compare to the beta 58a's SUPERCARDOID and the Regular CARDOID of my 57?

What makes the OM7 vs the OM11 $80 different in price. Seems like they're very similar with same build-quality, so why the huge price difference?

Why is Audix so much cheaper than Shure considering Shure makes their stuff in China & Mexico and Audix is made in the USA?

Here are the frequency response differences:

OM5: 48Hz - 19kHz

OM7: 48Hz - 19kHz

OM11: 50Hz - 18kHz

What does this mean? They appear to all be almost the same, so what's the difference between them?

Here are the spec sheets, and the freq response curves look all pretty damn similar too:

http://www.audixusa.com/docs/specs_pdf/OM2.pdf

http://www.audixusa.com/docs/specs_pdf/OM5.pdf

http://www.audixusa.com/docs/specs_pdf/om7.pdf

http://www.audixusa.com/docs/specs_pdf/OM11.pdf

Another concern is that the Audix is all black, including a black grill, while the Shures have a silver grill. I don't like the fact that audience members might mistake me singing into a black penis. So this question is specifically for Mikey, who uses Audixes: do audience members ever come up to you after a show and mention that it looks like your performing fellatio on a black penis when you're on stage? Is this a concern you have?

thanks

• Members

SUPERCARDOID and the Regular CARDOID

Pick-up pattern, super or hyper are tighter pick-patterns, meaning it picks the sound right in front of the capsule so you need the mic in your face all the time. Great for loud stages, the tight pattern will not pick-up bleed sounds from other sources like guitar cabs or drums. Also the capsules are USUALY made to withstand very close proximity to the air source (your mouth) without damaging or adding pop sounds.

AUDIX are cheaper because they are not called SHURE!

OM11 is a historical re-issue of the OM1, thus it costs more...the other price differences are due to materials like zinc or alloy, or wiring, capsule used, etc (marketing?) who knows, they make their prices!

I still say OM2, this is the best cost-benefit in their line, with all due respect to Mikey since I am not familiar with the OM3. OM5 and 7 I have used. The description below from the manufactor descibes this mic perfectly! Talk about truth in advertising!

The OM2 is characterized with a tight and uniformly controlled

hypercardioid polar pattern which helps to isolate the vocals from

the rest of the instruments on stage. With a wide frequency range

of 50 Hz - 16 kHz, the OM2 employs a VLM™ (Very Low Mass)

diaphragm for natural sound with exceptional transient response.

The OM2 is designed with slight bass proximity and a tailored

mid-range, giving it a full bodied sound on small to mid-size PA

systems. The OM2 is well balanced, comfortable to hold, durable

and manufactured with high standards and tight tolerances.

As for your penis obsession, only you can sort that out brother...

Rod

• Members

Alright, got on youtube and wanted to look for some face-offs.

Check these out:

OM5 vs beta 58a

[video=youtube;jnh42hem-G4]

The singing starts at 1:55

Sounds like the beta 58 has a more vibrant, cutting sound

Here's the OM2 vs the 58

[video=youtube;s7pWHCZbiSE]

Singing starts at 2:50

The 58 isn't as tinnier sounding as the OM2

What are y'alls experiences?

• Members

I have only ever used the SM 58...you've heard my stuff...what'd ya think? Of course, my set up would influence the sound...

- Line 6 Toneport UX2 audio interface with SM 58 plugged into it

- Ableton Live 7 DAW

- Generally reverb is used for all my recordings

- Small room to record in...a "dead" room (carpeted, full of stuff)

- Voice is naturally soft and floaty

There ya go. That is all I can offer!

• Members

Well I'm going to do a shootout between an SM7B, an EV RE-20 and my newly bought £35.00 condenser from samson (C05) People say it's better than the SM58Beta, not shure (pun intended) I would go that far but I would say it's better than the SM58 worth nearly 3X the money.

I've tried the Neumann the OM6, Beta and some other's I have had some really good one's before I became flat broke like the C414 and Manley gold ref. I never had chance to use them on my voice, I was engineering at the time.

But I alway's feel that compared to the slightly higher end or dedicated studio mic's the Neuman KS, OM6 / beta58 and Sennheiser E865 / 965 are lacking in alot of area's I'm going to save the money and see what work's best because I'm also convinced more expensive doesn't always mean better. (Even though I think the Neuman is over priced) The SM7B is a dynamic so I'm 50/50 on it already as condenser's do alot better job with me, but on a good Condenser I can hear a pin drop in China or the car's outside my house so that can be a problem, you know even when you move your arm..

• Members

Another concern is that the Audix is all black, including a black grill, while the Shures have a silver grill. I don't like the fact that audience members might mistake me singing into a black penis. So this question is specifically for Mikey, who uses Audixes: do audience members ever come up to you after a show and mention that it looks like your performing fellatio on a black penis when you're on stage? Is this a concern you have?

Assuming this is a real question, the answer is no on both counts. And I think you are spending FAR too much time worrying about this... it makes you sound slightly deranged/sexually confused...

• Members

Alright, got on youtube and wanted to look for some face-offs.

What are y'alls experiences?

All I can tell you is the Audix aint your grampas "folkie" mic. Controlled tests are one thing but to be honest I would have rather heard a test comparing them on stage with a full band where they were EQd properly and the singer was a bit more "raucous".

The Shure Beta 58 that my old guitar player used sounded consistently worse than both my Audix and the bass player and drummers Sennheisers to my ear. Maybe it was just him .

Archived