Learning new languages for singing

PhotonGuy

• Members

I was wondering if singers ever learn entire foreign languages fluently for the purpose of being able to sing in those languages. Depending on the type of music, some languages are spectacular for singing in and work much better than other languages so I was wondering if its beneficial to be multilingual for singing and if you're one of those people who picks up languages really easily if that would help with singing.

• Members
I was wondering if singers ever learn entire foreign languages fluently for the purpose of being able to sing in those languages. Depending on the type of music, some languages are spectacular for singing in and work much better than other languages so I was wondering if its beneficial to be multilingual for singing and if you're one of those people who picks up languages really easily if that would help with singing.

This guy here sang in Korean to cover a popular song. He never spoke Korean. I guess the pronunciation in Korean can be quite easy or he is just good at languages. Btw, the Korean language just flows awesomely in music. Just something about the language..

[video=youtube;hsiD9F09VFA]

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

In classical singing, art song/opera, you do use different languages to sing. It can actually be really awesome because the vowels in the "romance languages" are pure. (Long vowels) This means that the words are easier to pronounce, and resonate better in the voice making you sound better. It does help to know the language to h the song when performing. You can also use IPA to help you to pronounce the language. You should try it, it's pretty awesome.

Archived