Motown cover songs played solo with acoustic guitar

e021708

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Motown cover songs played solo with acoustic guitar. Can anyone recommend some songs like My girl, etc. that you think could be covered solo with acoustic guitar?

I'll have to preface this by stating that I don't consider these songs to be Motown, by the strictest definition, but I think they are soul songs that I know work for acoustic guitar. These are some that have helped me establish my reputation.

My Girl, of course

Just My Imagination (same song, almost)

Higher and Higher

Knock on Wood

Take Me to the River

Hold On, I'm Coming

She Caught the Katy

Hard to Handle

Let's Get it On

My wife sings

People Get Ready

Think

Son of a Preacher Man

There are plenty more that I can't name right now. These are all songs that we can pull with me on guitar only. Let me know if you want chords or recordings of the above mentioned tunes for reference. :thu:

• Members

"You Keep Me Hangin' On"

"I Can't Help Myself"

"Tracks of My Tears"

"I Second That Emotion"

"My Cherie Amour"

"I'll Be There"

"What's Goin' On"

"You Are the Sunshine of My Life"

"What Becomes of the Brokenhearted"

"Since I Lost My Baby"

Nice Cooter!

Posted at the same time and didn't repeat anything. :thu:

• Members

OP, can we get a little clarity? It's not like "Motown" is a vague, murky term, open for interpretation. Are you lookin for Motown songs, or just soul songs?

We pretty much always used the term motown/soul in an interchangable way even though you had the motown label and soul music. Soul music/motown was the gold standard for dance bands in the late 60s. You also had to do the standard top 40 stuff,, but any real solid working and has a good list of soul music on tap. Sam and dave stuff really worked. I would guess it still does.

• Members

OP, can we get a little clarity? It's not like "Motown" is a vague, murky term, open for interpretation. Are you lookin for Motown songs, or just soul songs?

Yeah, I am interested to know that, as well.

My suggestions were all true Motown songs, because I prefer to differentiate between Motown and Stax/Atlantic, because they sound nothing alike.

Even songs recorded at Soulsville and Muscle Shoals sound very different, to me...different players, different grooves.

• Members

Well, I quess I just want to learn to play some tunes like this on my acoustic. If the original song is soul music not cut at Motown. Cool, let's talk about it... No problem. I just love this stuff....

Here is a Wikipedia exerpt.....The Motown Sound was typified by a number of characteristics: the use of tambourines to accent the back beat, prominent and often melodic electric bass guitar lines, distinctive melodic and chord structures, and a call and response singing style that originated in gospel music. In addition, pop production techniques such as the use of orchestral string sections, charted horn sections, and carefully arranged background vocals were also used. Complex arrangements and elaborate, melismatic vocal riffs were avoided; [2] Motown producers believed steadfastly in the "KISS principle" ("keep it simple, stupid")

• Moderators

Gladys Knight's Daddy Could Swear. The main riff is played on a nylon string acoustic so it's not real stretch. Great tune.

Daddy couldn't read

Daddy couldn't write

But one thing daddy sure could do right

He could swear-ear-ear, I declare!

• Members

Motown producers believed steadfastly in the "KISS principle" ("keep it simple, stupid")

If anybody ever needed an example of how a skeletal arrangement can sound positively cinematic, in scope, all they need to do is put on "Papa Was a Rolling Stone".

I remember when I was younger, I was trying to figure out what this "thing" was that I kept feeling in most ofthe mid-60s Motown arrangements I heard.

:idea: Then it dawned on me that it was a lowly tambourine (including the backswing of the instrument) that was practically propelling these songs.

That's real genius in detailed arranging and producing.

• Members

If anybody ever needed an example of how a skeletal arrangement can sound positively cinematic, in scope, all they need to do is put on "Papa Was a Rolling Stone".

I remember when I was younger, I was trying to figure out what this "thing" was that I kept feeling in most ofthe mid-60s Motown arrangements I heard.

:idea:
Then it dawned on me that it was a lowly tambourine (including the backswing of the instrument) that was practically propelling these songs.

That's real genius in detailed arranging and producing.

Do the words ,, " its got a good beat and easy to dance to ring a bell" call it what you like... soul/ motown/ whatever .... that stuff was the gold standard of dance music back in the day for a reason. Its the same reason why it still fills dance floors today.

• Members

See if you can find music by Ted Hawkins. He covered a bunch of that sort of music solo-acoustic,

Ted was...wow... a true tortured (self-inflicted, mostly) artist.

What an original voice, but definitely an aquired taste.

He was cool, in my book, though.

• Members

Ted was...wow... a true tortured (self-inflicted, mostly) artist.

What an original voice, but definitely an aquired taste.

He was cool, in my book, though.

I like his treatment of Motown. Can't pull it off myself, though -- wrong kind of voice. I'm trying to add "Second that Emotion" and "Midnight Hour" to my Dead-ish cover band.

• Members

I like his treatment of Motown. Can't pull it off myself, though -- wrong kind of voice. I'm trying to add "Second that Emotion" and "Midnight Hour" to my Dead-ish cover band.

My favorites were when he did old country songs, like "There Stands the Glass", and "North to Alaska"...his version of "Biloxi" was just fantastic.

• Members

The little bits with Black Jack Ashford playing tambourine are the best parts of
Standing in the Shadows of Motown

Amen to that!

I do "Dock of the Bay" and people seem to enjoy it. Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam have done it once and awhile too!

Here's a video of Jim James from My Morning Jacket doing an abridged version of "Easy," like only Jim James could do. Perhaps not your musical taste, but the guy could sing the phone book and I'd love it!

Archived