Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venue owners/managers DO talk

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse







X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Venue owners/managers DO talk

    Before our gig on Saturday, the manager pulled me into his office to tell me that he recommended his top five bands to a venue that has a good built-in crowd in Chincoteague, VA (about an hour away). He told them that his bands are "expensive" and told them the $$$$ range that we'd all charge to travel down there. The other venue said that would be no problem and asked for our contact info, so we should be expecting a call from them soon.



    Side note: He also told me the names of the other bands that he recommended. It's nice to be included in that list.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    My cover band

    HARD WORK BEATS TALENT WHEN TALENT DOESN'T WORK HARD

  • #2
    Nice, and good of him to let them know it will cost a bit. Was the range he mentioned good for you?
    NO SIGNATURE FOR YOU!!

    Comment


    • #3






      Quote Originally Posted by mstreck
      View Post

      Before our gig on Saturday, the manager pulled me into his office to tell me that he recommended his top five bands to a venue that has a good built-in crowd in Chincoteague, VA (about an hour away). He told them that his bands are "expensive" and told them the $$$$ range that we'd all charge to travel down there. The other venue said that would be no problem and asked for our contact info, so we should be expecting a call from them soon.



      Side note: He also told me the names of the other bands that he recommended. It's nice to be included in that list.




      Pretty sure I know where you're talking about. If you guys get in there, let me know, I might make the trip up if we're off that night!

      Comment


      • #4
        Well I am glad you got some action here..but..maybe Im just cynical..but whats in it for the club that recomended you? Is this just because you've worked real hard for him? (and the other bands, I assume..)

        It all sounds good...just trying to understand. many club owners dont do things this kind...just sayin. Thats all.

        btw: Tell Misty I said "hi!!!"

        GtrGeorge

        Comment


        • #5
          Well I am glad you got some action here..but..maybe Im just cynical..but whats in it for the club that recomended you? Is this just because you've worked real hard for him? (and the other bands, I assume..)

          It all sounds good...just trying to understand. many club owners dont do things this kind...just sayin. Thats all.

          btw: Tell Misty I said "hi!!!"

          GtrGeorge

          Comment


          • #6
            lol...where I live you're lucky to get a bar owner/manager to pay you let alone promote your band somewhere else.
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font color="seagreen">Guitars = Chick Magnet<br />
            Guitar Hero = Guy Magnet<br />
            You do the math.</font></font><br />
            <br />
            <br />
            <font size="1"><font color="blue">HCAG Civil Posters Society, Charter Member #002.</font></font><br />
            <font size="1"><b>Simple music is the hardest music to play and blues is simple music. - Albert Collins</b></font></div>

            Comment


            • #7






              Quote Originally Posted by GtrGeorge!
              View Post

              whats in it for the club that recomended you?




              What's in it for a supervisor who writes you a glowing recommendation to help you get a new job elsewhere? Maybe it's just a professional courtesy?



              We *do* have a good professional relationship with this venue and are able to keep their crowd - as do the other four bands that he mentioned, so maybe he just wanted to pay it forward?



              But we are also complimented on our professionalism - by this venue and others - and have been told about other bands that do/say stupid stuff on stage and *don't* act professionally (none of which were recommended, by the way). Not that we're "all that" professionally, but sometimes it helps to simply do your job without acting like an idiot.
              * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
              My cover band

              HARD WORK BEATS TALENT WHEN TALENT DOESN'T WORK HARD

              Comment


              • #8






                Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22
                View Post

                Nice, and good of him to let them know it will cost a bit. Was the range he mentioned good for you?




                Yep! Right around what we'd ask to make that trip. It's an hour away from him but two hours away from us.
                * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                My cover band

                HARD WORK BEATS TALENT WHEN TALENT DOESN'T WORK HARD

                Comment


                • #9






                  Quote Originally Posted by GtrGeorge!
                  View Post

                  Well I am glad you got some action here..but..maybe Im just cynical..but whats in it for the club that recomended you? Is this just because you've worked real hard for him? (and the other bands, I assume..)

                  It all sounds good...just trying to understand. many club owners dont do things this kind...just sayin. Thats all.

                  btw: Tell Misty I said "hi!!!"

                  GtrGeorge




                  I'm thinking it's some fresh blood for the out of town owner, some proven fresh blood. Maybe that club owner suggested 4 bands to send the other way as well..



                  A bit of variety headed each way...











                  Quote Originally Posted by mstreck
                  View Post

                  Yep! Right around what we'd ask to make that trip. It's an hour away from him but two hours away from us.




                  Good stuff!! Glad to hear it what you were expecting, for such a trip!



                  NO SIGNATURE FOR YOU!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Not uncommon for managers or owners, here, to call and ask around about bands or even the ones they have not heard of before they book...even locally. If your on top of your game, you have nothing to worry about. Props to your group for being in the list!!
                    Jack of all trades....Master of none...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm betting that behavior truly varies by the market and by the owners, but I know one guy who doesn't hesitate to ask around about the bands, and as a result, he has a great roster of easy to work with, fun bands in his bar.



                      As said above, maybe it's just good friendly business!
                      Music, music, I hear music

                      Comment


                      • #12






                        Quote Originally Posted by mstreck
                        View Post

                        What's in it for a supervisor who writes you a glowing recommendation to help you get a new job elsewhere? Maybe it's just a professional courtesy?



                        We *do* have a good professional relationship with this venue and are able to keep their crowd - as do the other four bands that he mentioned, so maybe he just wanted to pay it forward?



                        But we are also complimented on our professionalism - by this venue and others - and have been told about other bands that do/say stupid stuff on stage and *don't* act professionally (none of which were recommended, by the way). Not that we're "all that" professionally, but sometimes it helps to simply do your job without acting like an idiot.




                        Of course it does. No one likes dealing with immature idiots.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&amp;%)7#</div>

                        Comment


                        • #13






                          Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly
                          View Post

                          Of course it does. No one likes dealing with immature idiots.




                          Or mature idiots, either.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="#4169e1"> <a href="http://www.paulzerra.com/" target="_blank">http://www.paulzerra.com/</a> </font><br />
                          <br />
                          Here is a Blues tune I do w/my trio to warm up:<br />
                          <br />
                          <a href="https://www.box.com/s/43da5e4ca6432d021eb8" target="_blank">https://www.box.com/s/43da5e4ca6432d021eb8</a><br />
                          <br />
                          Music teacher and piano player.</div>

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Dont take what I said the wrong way...sometimes (most times) there is more to things than meets the eye..and its not a bad thing to think about things in this way. It can save you some hassles, for sure.

                            Its great that they recommended your band. Have fun with it!!!





                            GtrGeorge

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X