Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Versatile console around $2K

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd look at the Midas Venice... I have the 320 and the sound is outstanding. The routing is simple and similar to other small format mixers. As for the rider freindly feature of the boards listed, IMO, none of the models listed including the Venice, will be very acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumtech
      As for the rider freindly feature of the boards listed, IMO, none of the models listed including the Venice, will be very acceptable.

for a small club of 200 or 300 hundred people, I think they'd do fine around here. In my area, what else is around is pretty much mackie. I'm not and never will be a pro sound contractor, but would be nice to have something to offer my occasional services or rent out if I ever had to.

Thanks for the advice, I do hear very good things about the Venice mixers--ever had any problems with yours?

best-
      <div class="signaturecontainer">GuitarCenter sucks. <br />
      MusiciansFriend sucks. <br />
      This has been a public service message. </div>

Comment

I've only had mine a few months... No problems whatsoever...

Comment

I'm a small fish too with a Soundcraft Sprit live 4/2 16 channel. I feel that it's got a ton of features for the $1700. Not many boards in that price range with dual mid sweeps, phase invert, Matrix, etc. I mostly need up to 16 channels and if I need more I rent. Solid quality too, each pot is nutted, the strips don't do the "wiggle" when you grab a knob. Also each strip is a separate PC, the Midas Venice is not, I believe. But from what I hear the Midas is way above in sound quality, and so is the price. A&H GL2200 might be good to because if can be used as a monitor board. I went thru the same process and decided of the Soundcraft for Features/sound/price.

Comment

Thanks for the help, everyone. Well I've checked into all the above mentioned consoles as well as some Yamahas and others. At this point I'm into seriously considering the Allen & Heath GL3300 24, http://www.allen-heath.com/gl3300.asp and the Soundcraft Spirit8 24, http://www.soundcraft.com/products/spirit8.html Both look like they're a good balance of price/performance and versatility, with some key features I'm into, and it looks like they'll do what I want or need, for better or worse. Only thing that stops me is price as new, and reliability issues for both of them. British consoles...damn...well when they're sounding, at least they're sound good

I'm also still trying to find used examples of either of these in the configuration I want...and I'll tell ya, it's a real bitch!

If anyone's used one or both consoles and can help me compare and contrast, that would be very cool!

Best-
            DR

BTW Andy, do you deal in other mixers besides Crest?

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyragamuffin
              BTW Andy, do you deal in other mixers besides Crest?

Not much anymore with all the on-line hyper-competition. By the time I work out all the details, I make just a few bucks. Therefore, I deal with Crest and Yamaha, but the Crest X4 or X8 is WAY outside of your budget and the Yamaha in your budget is not so hot anymore. Sometimes I get a good used console in, but I usually have customers drooling for one of our refurbished boards since we will sell them with a 1, 2 or 3 year warranty if the pricing is right and the quality is there.

Comment

Yep, I'd pretty much found that I can't come close to a large format Crest unfortunately, and I did look into Yamaha mixers around $3K but wasn't so impressed. I've pretty much got it down to the A&H GL3300 or the Spirit8, so if you or anyone on the forum happens across something along those lines any time soon, feel free to drop me an e-mail. My only hope for either of these consoles locally is Full Compass, or my local music store is an AH dealer...though I won't hold my breath on a good deal there.

What I'm figuring is that if I could find a GL3300 for under $4K in good shape with the PSU and the necessaries, I'd likely go for it. Choosing between the two is definitely tough though--the 3300 is more versatile and more costly; the Spirit has nice metering, what I'm told is a very nice EQ, could still do what I needed albeit definitely not as smoothly as the AH, and the price is more favorable. It's a tough choice, especially since I've gotten fairly little feedback on them.

I have a doctor appointment in Madison tomorrow and perhaps I'll stop in at Full Compass for quotes...one thing I haven't had yet, though, is an in-person look at these bad boys, and I don't believe FC (or any other place anywhere near me) would have these in a showroom. Somthing's really unsettling about spending three or four large without twiddling the knobs and kicking the tires first

If anyone has anything to say about experiences with either of these consoles, again I'd really, really like to hear it--also from a servicing point of view: what goes wrong with these most, and how hard/costly are they to fix?

Thanks again and again

-DR

P.S. Would anyone be able to give me an idea of what I should expect to reasonably pay for used examples of either of these? I've had a hard time figuring it out!

P.P.S. Would you all agree that getting a versatile live-oriented console to pull live AND multitrack recording duty makes more sense than getting a recording-oriented mixer to do the same thing? Something in a Soundcraft Ghost isn't out of the question, and frankly it WILL be in the studio more than out to a gig. I just figure if I'm putting down the money, I'd like it to be able to multitask! Does this make sense? I'd not want to haul an Amek Big out to a club, for instance

Comment

Check in with me before you make a decision...I deal with crest, A&H and Soundcraft and I'm sure you would qualify for the HC discount he he
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">Dan<br />
                  <a href="mailto:dan@audioeast.com">dan@audioeast.com</a><br />
                  <br />
                  Audio East ~ New England Sound &amp; Lighting<br />
                  Authorized Dealers: Allen &amp; Heath, Audix, Audio Technica, Ashly, Crest, Crown, DBX, Drawmer, Soundcraft, JBL, Midas, EV, Klark Teknik, TC Electronic, Lexicon, CBI, Yorkville, Gator Cases, Whirlwind, ProCo, Shure, Chauvet<br />
                  <br />
                  Like us on Facebook <a href="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Audio-East-Inc-New-England-Sound-Lighting/107437315944568" target="_blank">http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...07437315944568</a></div>

Comment

If you are going to record, keep this in mind. On the Soundcraft, I believe, the direct out is post fader and the A&H is pre or at least switchable. Pre is the way to go. Example: Guitars are too loud (as usual) so you don't even put them in the mix, on a post fader Direct out, you get ZERO, on a pre fader, you just set the input with the PFL and that is what goes to the recorder. You might want to check this, very important for these reasons. I am in the process of getting the Live 4/2 16 channel, but am a bit iffy because of this fact. What makes it hard is my local distributor will finance the board, but doesn't carry A&H. I'm still debating.....

Comment

Originally posted by billiam
                      If you are going to record, keep this in mind. On the Soundcraft, I believe, the direct out is post fader and the A&H is pre or at least switchable. Pre is the way to go. Example: Guitars are too loud (as usual) so you don't even put them in the mix, on a post fader Direct out, you get ZERO, on a pre fader, you just set the input with the PFL and that is what goes to the recorder. You might want to check this, very important for these reasons. I am in the process of getting the Live 4/2 16 channel, but am a bit iffy because of this fact. What makes it hard is my local distributor will finance the board, but doesn't carry A&H. I'm still debating.....

Very good points, although I was referring to studio recording...but then, live recording certainly isn't out of the question, either.

I believe the Spirit 8 allow you to select between pre/post direct outs--I was reading the user's manual online and I think I recall seeing that.

I'm really leaning towards the GL3300, it just seems like it's got more routing options, overall, and I think would be a more suitable multitrack studio mixer--for a live sound oriented mixer in a studio setting, on my budget, I think it's the way to go. There's a good chance one will be on its way to me by the end of the week

Pretty much my only hesitation now is the reliability factor. I figure any mixer will crap out, whether it's british or not...and since mine won't be out on the road too much getting battered around in a van, at least not in the near future, I'm less worried about intermittent connections and the like (If I'm doing a bar gig, I'll take my Kelsey since I can afford to have it out of commission should something happen). Also I wish it had metering on the bridge for each mono channel rather than just the groups and master section, btu that's not so important compared to other factors.

We'll see what happens...

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyragamuffin
                        Pretty much my only hesitation now is the reliability factor. I figure any mixer will crap out, whether it's british or not...
                        We'll see what happens...

I would not generalize about reliability that way. I have owned over a dozen mixers personally and I have never had any pro mixer crap out on me ever... but then again, I don't own anything British! The reliability factor on the better Yamaha consoles is astoundingly good. I have 3 Yamaha's currently, a PM-1200, M-2000 (PM frame not the cheap M series) and an MC3210-II. All are 10 years old+ and every one operates perfectly, not a single function does not work correctly. The consoles have probably 800-1000 shows each on them. I pay up front for quality, it's cheaper (WAY CHEAPER) in the long run. One dumped show and that's a LOT of money to potentially be responsible for. For example, tonight's show has a house GP of $50,000 and it's sold out. Therefore, spending an extra $5000 or $10,000 for more reliable gear is insignificant in the scheme of things.

Comment

Originally posted by agedhorse

I would not generalize about reliability that way. I have owned over a dozen mixers personally and I have never had any pro mixer crap out on me ever... but then again, I don't own anything British! The reliability factor on the better Yamaha consoles is astoundingly good. I have 3 Yamaha's currently, a PM-1200, M-2000 (PM frame not the cheap M series) and an MC3210-II. All are 10 years old+ and every one operates perfectly, not a single function does not work correctly. The consoles have probably 800-1000 shows each on them. I pay up front for quality, it's cheaper (WAY CHEAPER) in the long run. One dumped show and that's a LOT of money to potentially be responsible for. For example, tonight's show has a house GP of $50,000 and it's sold out. Therefore, spending an extra $5000 or $10,000 for more reliable gear is insignificant in the scheme of things.

That is a good point, and I have to say I agree with you but...it seemed to me that at the $4000 and-slightly-under mark, I met with a tradeoff: the best featured and arguably best sounding boards at that price are less reliable British boards, and spending less wouldn't get me what I was looking for... If I had the means, I would have loved to order a Crest X-8 or some such, but putting up twice as much just isn't there as an option to me. I have to admit I don't have huge plans--mainly just low budg work with independant artists in my area, so it was a justification thing.

But generally you're right, I shouldn't have generalized like that--there are indeed some very well-built, trouble free consoles out there...but it definitely does come at a price.

-DR

Comment

I ended up going for the Soundcraft, but as a future upgrade I would consider the GL3300. After you get your board, keep us posted!

Comment

I ended up going for the Soundcraft,

Congrats on the new mixer!

but as a future upgrade I would consider the GL3300. After you get your board, keep us posted!

Will do! It is looking very, very likely that I'll be getting the GL3300-824A; I've found a B-stock item that fits within my budget...so I'm doing some final research while I wait for funding to come through.

I'm getting antsy

Comment

My music shop emailed me. Good and bad news. The good, my mixer was in, the bad, it was destroyed in transit. Smashed knobs, buttons, generally beat down. Don't know when the replacement will come. I wish they had'nt told me.

Comment

Working...
                                X