Speakon is confusing the #$%@ out of me...

• Members

Gang,

Can you help me with this really stupid question......I come from the world of 1/4 connectors....

The amp I'm considering buying is for our setup, has one speakon port in the back...which seems to feed both the left and right channels...using the one port..

How does one do this? do you need to then buy a splitter so you can feed the various speakers on the seperate channels?

Thanks,

Frank

• Members

Tell us what amp you're looking at and we'll be able to give specific guidance. It shouldn't be too tricky is you point us in the right direction. I could fashion a guess right now but fear I might lead you wrong.

• Members

Originally posted by ATOMICDOG1

On the QSC RMX amps bridge mode is +1/+2 in the channel one speakon

That's why you really want to understand what's giong on BEFORE plugging your expensive bi-amped box into an NL-4... there are different standards unfourtnately!:(

• Members

I'm using EX 4000's, and they offer a third Speakon

for bridging purposes.

First & Second Speakon

Channel One +1 - 1

Channel Two +1 - 1

Third Speakon

Stereo Mode

Channel One +1 - 1

Channel Two +2 - 2

Bridged Mode

Pin +1 = Positive

Pin +2 = Negative

I've never used the Third Speakon, and, after reading

its configuration in Stereo Mode, I doubt I ever will.

• Members

The third speakon addresses both bi-amped and bridged applications, depending on the settings of the programming dip switches (jumpers) on the amp.

As long as you understand what's going on, it's very handy, but if you don't, it could be ugly at best!

• Members

Actually, on my PLX, I believe that in stereo mode, one side is pins 1+/- and the other side pins 2+/-, and bridge mode, pins 1+/-.

I stand corrected. Bridge mode is pins 1+/2+. I was giving this information by memory and I just looked now.

Archived