15" or 12" for vocals-only monitors

• Members

Hey folks,

It looks like the beat-to-{censored} bullfrog monitors that I own are finally dying. One of them has a blown woofer, as of last night's gig.

So I'm thinking about replacing them...at least one of them, to start...

So my big question is this. What's a better monitor, for vocals-only...a 12" two way or a 15" two way????......also, can someone name some particular brands of monitors I should look at? We're using mostly budget gear, EV force-i is our FOH stuff.......we can't really afford yorkvilles....hell, we can barely afford to replace the woofer in the bullfrog...but I'm afraid something else will blow, if we continue to use it.....

I guess our budget for a floor monitor is about 250ish....new or used.

Thanks,

Frank

• Members

Just my opinion, but I prefer 12's for vocals. However, it you ever plan to add the bass and/or the kick drum to the monitor mix, you might as well buy 15's now. I honestly think that 12's project the vocals better than 15's. But, decide how you will use them in the future and plan for that.

• Members

Well, most 12's are punchier. If that's what you are looking for, I'd go with them. For $250, you can definitely get a used monitor............maybe 2 if you went with a set of Peaveys. I have some Peavey's. They're not the most amazing wedges on the market but they are durable and they get the job done.

• Members
Originally posted by strangegrey

Hey folks,

It looks like the beat-to-{censored} bullfrog monitors that I own are finally dying. One of them has a blown woofer, as of last night's gig.

So I'm thinking about replacing them...at least one of them, to start...

So my big question is this. What's a better monitor, for vocals-only...a 12" two way or a 15" two way????......also, can someone name some particular brands of monitors I should look at? We're using mostly budget gear, EV force-i is our FOH stuff.......we can't really afford yorkvilles....hell, we can barely afford to replace the woofer in the bullfrog...but I'm afraid something else will blow, if we continue to use it.....

I guess our budget for a floor monitor is about 250ish....new or used.

Thanks,

Frank

There isn't a lot that can blow in a speaker,other than woofer,tweeter,or crossover. If the cabs are still tight and can be cleaned up,I'd get some decent woofers for them,and later on,upgrade the tweeter. What does it have for a horn? Mark has good advice on the EV12L. I just bought a pair of nice clean used Eminence cast frame 12"s on Ebay for $90pair with shipping. They would be perfect also. Even a new Eminence Delta 12" is only around $60 and they are very efficient and sound plenty good for that situation. Otherwise,check out Sonic monitors. They are good BFTB.

Archived