XLR switch?

• Members

I am still hoping to somehow get a balanced momentary foot switch that would allow me to briefly switch over to a second line (which would go into the band monitors ONLY, and then resume my regular send when I took my foot off of it (monitors and FOH), so that I could talk to the band members ONLY between songs, (OK such and such is next guys, it starts on 1, lets go ready.. 1-2-3-4-)... by tech assistanthad the name for the type of switch that he thought we would need to make this thing up, but says he couldnot find one.

I am wearing a head setmic, and i don't like tomove it around for talking between songs, not to mention which everyone is wearing iems, so just talking without using a mic into their monitor send is not very helpful...and it is toomuch to ask the soundman to remember to turn me up and down between every song...(not really his job I don't think, at least not at what he is getting paid (which is nothing like the rest of us...)).

Any ideas?

• Members

good idea I think although I am not sure where to get a mic spliter box... but I assume they can be had at an acceptable quality (noise wise). YeaI could figure out the iring to this idea. Best place to get a good mic spliter box would be? A mic splilter box is something that might normally be used to split a signal to leave it on stagefor amonitor mixer and also send it to the snake and FOH? Thank you.

I assume the dickwringer mixer comment is a joke right?

I tried sort of doing this with my old berringer mixer, but it was too noisy.

• Members

I'm trying to coin a derisive-but-funny nickname for Behringer...

I don't think the mic splitter box will work. Passive switches like the Cough Drop work by shorting the balanced signal lines together, and without a buffer all outputs from a passive rig will end up muted. Some kind of active buffer is needed, hence my suggestion to try a tiny mixer.

• Members

I was running my mic into a channel and splitting it by using the aux sends... let's say aux1 was the send to the fronts and aux 2 was the send to the monitors. Then I also ran the metronome from my v drum set into a channel into a channel, and also sent it to aux 2. Then aux 1 was sent to one channle of the FOH board, and aux 2 was sent to another channel. The first send went to the mains only, and the second went to monitors only... but both signals werevery noisy after having come out of the berringer mixer, as compared to just running straight into the A&H board, so I abandoned that idea.

I had really just gotten started with it, but it was so noisy that I just gave up.

Doing this I still didn't have the momentary foot swi9tch that I really need, but at least I had a slider that would work, and I figured I could get the foot switch later if it worked.

That is what I did... thank you for your interest. Is there a better way I should have done it?

• Members

the mic splitter idea should work - just get a splitter with an isolated output. any good splitter has one passive (parallel) out, and one isolated out. use the passive out to the monitor mixer, and the isolated out to the cough-drop to the mains. that way, the cough drop will only kill any output out of the splitter's isolated send - i.e. the send to the monitor mixer remains untouched.

im thinking - can something be done using the FOH channel insert and a momentary footswitch with a reversible polarity - like the Boss FS5U - whereby stepping on the switch interrupts the signal into the channel... anybody?

AS

• Members

Originally posted by Rbts

I was running my mic into a channel and splitting it by using the aux sends... let's say aux1 was the send to the fronts and aux 2 was the send to the monitors. Then I also ran the metronome from my v drum set into a channel into a channel, and also sent it to aux 2. Then aux 1 was sent to one channle of the FOH board, and aux 2 was sent to another channel. The first send went to the mains only, and the second went to monitors only... but both signals werevery noisy after having come out of the berringer mixer, as compared to just running straight into the A&H board, so I abandoned that idea.

I had really just gotten started with it, but it was so noisy that I just gave up.

Doing this I still didn't have the momentary foot swi9tch that I really need, but at least I had a slider that would work, and I figured I could get the foot switch later if it worked.

That is what I did... thank you for your interest. Is there a better way I should have done it?

I'm thinking that you probably could have run the little mixer hotter, and padded down the outputs with a DI or even a passive mic pad. That should put everything into its designed signal level and minimize noise.

• Members

Originally posted by ashivraj

the mic splitter idea should work - just get a splitter with an isolated output. any good splitter has one passive (parallel) out, and one isolated out. use the passive out to the monitor mixer, and the isolated out to the cough-drop to the mains. that way, the cough drop will only kill any output out of the splitter's isolated send - i.e. the send to the monitor mixer remains untouched.

Nope, will not work.

The "Cough Drop" works by shorting the signal pins together (I looked it up at the Pro-Co website to be certain). So a transformer-based circuit will end up with everything being muted.

See, the deal with transformers is that they couple, not isolate*. Transformers are inherently bi-directional. A true isolated split would require some kind of active component (unity-gain amplifier, for instance) before you could safely short its output without that short affecting the input.

*transformers are often used for specific types of isolation in live sound, but really this is because you can use the transformer to couple two AC signal lines without an actual physical (metal conductor) connection. However, it's still possible for the signal to go either way. If I had a bass guitar plugged through a standard passive transformer DI and then into the bass amp, I could actually connect a signal generator to the XLR and have the signal come out of the bass amp. It's just that nobody ever tries that, so they get in the habit of seeing the DI as a one-way box.

• Members

Justtrying to learn, as best I can, and thanks for the ideas.. Can I assume that the Boss FS5U idea woan't work either? I saw one the other day and thought about if I could figure out how to make that be the answer to my wishes...

So, Scodidy, you are thinking that I should be able to get the berringer to be quiet and that IT WILL issolate the signal sufficiently to use a cough drop or something?

• Members

Originally posted by Rbts

Justtrying to learn, as best I can, and thanks for the ideas.. Can I assume that the Boss FS5U idea woan't work either? I saw one the other day and thought about if I could figure out how to make that be the answer to my wishes...

So, Scodidy, you are thinking that I should be able to get the berringer to be quiet and that IT WILL issolate the signal sufficiently to use a cough drop or something?

The FS5U appears to just be an unbalanced version of the Cough Drop.

Basically I think you'd need to put some attenuation on the outputs of the Behringer to get things back down to mic level. Then you can crack the preamps and get the Behringer running at its ideal gain structure, thus minimizing the noise.

I've got a simple balanced attenuator circuit in mind, but I'm a bit iffy about the component values. I've added a couple capacitors to block phantom power, at least...

• Members

A possible solution for you if you have two mic channels available for yourself would be to use two mics; one for the FOH and one for monitors. If you don't like the visual aspect it should be possible to use an inexpensive lavalier for the monitor mic. Put your FOH mic through the cough drop, and when you want to talk to just the band the only hot mic would be the lavalier.

• Members

I hate it that this is complicated... seems like it ought to be able to be easier.. :)

I have printed off your diagram Scodidy, and will give it to the tech guy who is trying to help me. We will see how it all goes..

I take it from your comment that the cough drop is a balanced deal, so that is good.

Thank you again for your efforts at helping me.

• Members

How about just a double-pole-double throw push button after the splitter?

Run the balanced lines to the monitor input channel from the common pole on the switch. Short the normally closed set of poles together (mutes the monitor input when the button's not pressed). COnnect the mic inputs to the normally open poles.

It's not a make before break but that may not be a problem.

• Members

Just further following up...

We are still looking into switches... but by trying harder, I was actually able to get a decently quiet signal out of the dickwringer mxr, which is nowsplit left and right, with the left feed going to a main mxr channel that feed the FOH mains, while the right feed goes to a main mxr channel that feeds the monitors only. Now I think that a cough drop or some such will be able to be used to good advantage?

Thank you for your comments... and helpful suggestions.

Archived