It's all about the OUT

• Members

I worked with a production manager a few years back who said it all in this simple phrase "It's all about the out".

I've worked with guys who misjudge the length of a show run I.E. It's a one nighter but they run their cables as if it's a permanently installed system (under the stageing when around the perimeter with a skirt works and looks the same or using far more gaff than is necessary to make it safe or stacking all of the cases and rack lids in a far off room).

When you load in you should think about the way you do things and how they effect the load out.

It's all about the OUT (well 2nd to safety).

• Members

Since I have so little cabling and generally am not able to start setting up until 10 minutes before a show (stupid organizers know NOTHING), my cabling is generally very messy on stage. When I can though everything's at least somewhat neat and the band can move around without tripping over cables.

:(

• Members

Although I plan on being neat and organized, I tend to leaving things messy, maybe subconsciously rationalizing that I just have to pick it all back up after the show.

Seems like any problem I have is a result of it. YMMV. :)

• Members

This is slightly off topic (it still has to do with stupid organizers know nothing), but I just got off the phone with the LIC for a street dance I have to do on Sat. I gave her the power requirements that we need and she passed them on to the city electrical guy. The guy was annoyed that we needed more than the 2x 20 amp outlets that he wanted give us (about 130' away from where the stage is going to be). I'm bringing in four mtl 1x dual 18"'s and four Qrx 153/75 cabs with a 6 mix monitor system, 8 track spots, and 12 par 64's.... yeah two circuits is gonna do that :rolleyes:. So yesterday, I have her get the guy to call me. Turns out, he's just lazy and doesn't want to put in the temp service box with a 100 amp 220 lug box on the pole by where the stage is going to be, and he says he won't do it. So, I called his boss, the mayor, who is one of my friends, lol..... and he put the box in today, lol. Its good to know the boss when the underlings get bucky:thu:

• Members

If the production is staying in for several days I will run cabling such as snakes, speaker runs etc., more hidden that for a one off.

I always lay out cabling as neat and organized as possible. While I agree that by the end of the event they are still a mess, it's easier to keep things neat, and easier to get out if you start out neat, than just letting things run amuck. Then there's the safety factor of nealy run cabling.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

If the production is staying in for several days I will run cabling such as snakes, speaker runs etc., more hidden that for a one off.

I always lay out cabling as neat and organized as possible. While I agree that by the end of the event they are still a mess, it's easier to keep things neat, and easier to get out if you start out neat, than just letting things run amuck. Then there's the safety factor of nealy run cabling.

Agreed I try to judge how long the show's going to be there, how important the overall stage look is to the production, where the performers/audience participants are going to travel and of course the very first consideration is Safety. Provided the show was advanced properly (this could be a topic of it's own) and or you ask the right questions it is still possible to have a neat, clean and safe stage. I just don't believe in overengineering a setup that's only going to last one or two nights (doing things that the audience won't see and won't matter to anyone else in the end). Why make you're load out anymore difficult than necessary?

• Members

I find that in addition to making an easy out, keeping cables as organized as reasonablly possible makes trouble shooting soooooo much easier. Then again, in club land (aka combat audio), there's hardly much time to do everything neat and have the time to trouble-shoot anyway...

• Members

Originally posted by JRBLE

When you load in you should think about the way you do things and how they effect the load out. It's all about the OUT (well 2nd to safety).

Too true...

Something I try to do for each line on stage is to keep the excess cable coiled with the velcro tie in place.

Start by running off only as much cable as is needed from the coil, then put the tie back on the remaining coil. It makes a much neater and more adaptable pile around the breakout box, and you don't end up with a time consuming mess at load out, and you don't lose the tie :)

Regards,

Carey

Archived