instrument mics?

• Members

Any ever a-b-c the SM 57, CO4...and a dark horse...the CAD 411s as instrument (cab) mics? Curiosity more than anything else. I have the 411s and find them to be better than I expected. The SM 57 is a 'known' quantity...I know nothing about the EV CO4s...but the head of the mic appears to address a complaint of the 57s...fragile head.

Kim

• Members

If I remember right, the CO4 has a similar sound to a 57, but it sounds a little smoother, not quite as harsh but still top-endy. I have no experience with the CAD mic.

My personal favorite as a general "instrument mic" is a Beta 57, but it depends on what you're miking. I use e609's on guitar cabs, anything from a 57 to a 52 to an M88 on bass cab if you're into that, (an N/D 868 works well too), and for horns I'm all over the place. 57/58 for trumpet, Beta 58 for bone, Beta 57's on sax and low brass. I've heard that a D6 is cool on a bari sax, but I've never tried. I like Audix for drum mics, as well as 52/91/98's, with a 57/Beta 57 on snare. SM81's for condensers.

If you're looking sepcifically for guitar cab mics, and you have a chance to demo a few, try a 57, an e609 and/or 906, an N/D 468, a D2, D3 or D4, and from what the EV guys tell me, an EV Raven. In my experience, EV mics tend to sound really nice on cabs. But I use e609's on cabs because they're easy.

Archived