What are the impedance again..~?

• Members

I'm sorry if this sounds like some cliche to you, but I've puzzuled for some time...

1.What are the typical output impedance of guitar/bass?

2.What are the typical impedance of amp in?

3.What are the typical impedance of Mic in/out ?

4.What are the typical impedance of Line in/out ?

well........not meant to disgust you... But this is the what on which I base my questions...

What's the most normal working status? Low out to High in?(this is what I learn in class) What will happen when they doesn't match each other? High to Low ? or extreme Low to High ? Noise or weak volume will be presented as someone says, but I still haven't got any systematic understanding of this thing...

I deeply hope there are people who are interested in this problem, and we can try to figure it out together..

Andier.

• Members

After searching on the net and reading some of the manuals,

The impedance of passive pickups varies from several to hundred K Ohms, say 500k Ohms for Seymour Duncan SFX-01

The impedance of active pickups, are typically serveral K Ohms, say 10k Ohms for EMG81

and Mic in/out have impedance of serveral hundred Ohms, like 300 for Shure SM58.

Line in/out have impedance of several k Ohms, like 1k Ohms (Still haven't found any example, I appreciate if you fill in)

so only the last few questions are to be answered...

• Members

3.What are the typical impedance of Mic in/out ?

4.What are the typical impedance of Line in/out ?

Mic outs are typically 100 to 300 ohms and mic inputs are typically 1K ohms and higher.

Line outputs can be as low as 50 ohms and usually less than 1K. Line inputs are typically 10K.

Generally you'd like the receiving end to be about 10 times larger than the sending end for best performance

• Members

Thanks ~~~

But what will happen if they do not match ? I want to know what will be the symptoms and thus be able to trace back to the problems.

For most application, you do NOT want the impedances to match, but you want the output impedance to be a lot lower than the input impedance. Let's say you connect the output of device A to the input of device B. If A's output impedance is a lot bigger than the input impedance of B, than the specifics of B have no influence on A even if you connect many different "B's" at the same time.

Notable exception is when you want maximum power transfer ot the output device is relying on a specific load impedance. The other exception is when you have to drive very long transmisson lines.

• Members

Well, thank you for your response.

I know for maximum power transfer, you have to calculate the impedances... But I think we don't need to go that far and that specific...

So, there were times when I suffered from unbearable noise, or very low level received by the mixer, are the impedances responsible for these ?

Archived