My sound-running skills are deteriorating :(

• Members

Of the past few weeks I've found my mixes aren't as good as they used to be. I just can't achieve the same sound I used to get - anything from a single tom to a full FOH mix. Other people have produced better mixes on the same rig (and even with the same band), so I can't complain about the rig or the source.

I've found that my mood affects my mixes, and so it doesn't help that my mixes get even worse because I find myself pissed off at myself (thinking 'man, you suck at this').

Any help?

AS

• Members

I may not be much help, I have never had to achive high volumes and dont have to worry about feedback plus I run a pretty basic rig. Anyway, perhaps a trip back to basics is needed, like Rocky Balboa did, instead of high priced gadgets and state of the art training equipment he hit the hills, dead lifting old logs. Ok, thats Hollywood but my point is a simular one.

Zero out the EQ channel strips and the main EQ, eliminate the gadgets for now, compressors-gates etc...just run a back-to-basics setup. Forget the creative panning and bussing, turn it down a bit esp during sound check and just listen, listen and then listen again.

• Members

I have had nightmare gigs where I questioned my abilities (not very hard since I have only been doing this for 3 1/2 years and am still learning even the most rudimentary basics), but fortunately they are isolated. I also found that with my primary band I was starting to get complacent in that I know the music inside and out and there was getting to be little spontaneity, and that too was affecting my impression of the mix. See if you can find some way of making it all fresh again. If you are enjoying the show, your mix will always be better than if you don't enjoy it, in my limited experience opinion.

Which doesn't mean that if you don't like the music you can't do a good job, just that we all tend to work a little harder when we enjoy the show/music.

• CMS Author

I second the recommendation to flatten EQ, and remove the bells and whistles. Set your basic gain structure, and let the band and the room dictate what may or may not be needed after that. You might be over-processing the signal, and that rarely results in a satisfying mix.

Or, perhaps you're a bit fatigued. As you said your mood is controlling much of how you mix, if you're tired, or just tired of mixing, this is a very real issue.

• Members

Of the past few weeks I've found my mixes aren't as good as they used to be. I just can't achieve the same sound I used to get - anything from a single tom to a full FOH mix. Other people have produced better mixes on the same rig (and even with the same band), so I can't complain about the rig or the source.

I've found that my mood affects my mixes, and so it doesn't help that my mixes get even worse because I find myself pissed off at myself (thinking 'man, you suck at this').

Any help?

AS

Trust me, it's not just you. No doubt the bands, the crowds, etc... are contributing factors. I strongly believe seasonal disorder syndrom plays into this. It's too long between New Year's and Easter... and everybody's got the "winter is stupidly long this year" blues.

A good band and a good crowd after and day in the sun will change your whole attitude on life.

• Members

This might be a bit worrisome... but you might consider getting your hearing checked and dragging a dB meter along to gigs. As I've gotten older I've found that my ears distort more easily, resulting in having loud things just sound crappy. I mix quieter than I used to, because when my ears overload it just sounds bad to me.

• Members

My question to you would be: "When was the last time you had a break?" Often tiimes, toward the end each of the band's very busy years, I feel very tired of hauling all that gear, not getting any props from the band, and not getting paid what I think I should. After our yearly break of at the minimum six weeks I feel refreshed and renewed. I have my best mixes right after our break.

I hope I have related to you, and it makes you think, "hmmmm, I'm not the only one."

• Members

My question to you would be: "When was the last time you had a break?" Often tiimes, toward the end each of the band's very busy years, I feel very tired of hauling all that gear, not getting any props from the band, and not getting paid what I think I should. After our yearly break of at the minimum six weeks I feel refreshed and renewed. I have my best mixes right after our break.

I hope I have related to you, and it makes you think, "hmmmm, I'm not the only one."

This is what I thought. Take a break.

heck the pastor at church is taking a sabatical... which turns out to be six months off... with pay I think (you are on your own on that part).... but take a break... if you can somehow. Take a cruise... go to the bahamas... if something like that is possible.

• Members

Thanks everybody! All valid and relevant points. I'm glad my problem is not unique.

Both the bands I regularly mix are quite good, except for the usual issues of guitarist too loud and they want the monitors too loud (and a crappy room for one of them) - but I'm not going to try and blame it on those things. I'm pretty sure my ears are still ok, but getting them checked is on the cards.

It must be fatigue - not just short term (after a long weekend of gigging), but more long term (doing it every weekend without a break). I'm going to plan a break into my techie schedule in a few weeks.

I quite like the idea of going back to basics. One of the bands has just bought a Yamaha O1V digital desk, and my plan of action calls for me to run it very flat to start with, and gradually play with the bells and whistles - and I'm going to compare before and after at each step. Sometimes the best processing is the stuff that's bypassed ;)

Thanks again :)

AS

• Members

Any help?

AS

YES!! YOU SUCK MAN!!!:p:D

Just kidding! Don't worry too much!

Take a deep breath and say: I don't suck!;)

Take some vacations bro!:thu::cool:

Archived