Crown Macro-Tech 2400

• Members

I have a chance to buy one of these, in a big (looks like 10-12 space) SKB case, with a Rane GE-27 eq. for $250. Working, but with the expected bumps, dings, dust, etc. I honestly don't know what I'll drive with it, but it's cheap, it pumps out lots of watts, and can drive down to a 2 ohm load, so I should be able to push just about anything. I think I'll pick it up and just have it around as a backup, or in case I expand the rig.

Anybody have first hand experience with these units?

• Members

When those amps have problems, they are very expensive to repair. If they are beat up, they are worth nowhere near $1200 IMO. I just sold a couple of dead-mint MA1200's for about $500 each, and there wasn't a scratch on them. I also included a 1 year warranty.

• Members

First of all, good power amps are now a dime a dozen. I've got probably 10 or so used for sale sitting on the shelves and none of them are in the $1200 range. Second, you can buy a brand new QSC RMX-2450 for way less than that WITH A 6 YEAR WARRANTY. Crest and Peavey have good options as well.

There are all kinds of problems, intermittents seem to be high on the list, failed cahnnels, busted up sheet metal and hardware etc.

• Members

Agedhorse - (or anybody else) Is there a common mode of failure with these amps? Anything I can do when checking out my prospective buy to get a feel for whether or not she's got a some mileage left in her?

Based on how long they've been in the market (Around 1986) no. $250.00 is beyond a steal for a Macrotech 2400 and, they hold their value in the market if you ever decide to sell them. The going used price for an MA 2400 is $1000, and that stems all the way back to 1994.

As for problems checking before hand. If you find the filters clogged to point you see the dust is caked up, it's more than likely the user wasn't concerned about the welfare of the amp. They are pretty straight forward. The ODEP lights tells you the thermal status of the amplifier. They both need to be brightly lit and, the IOC tells you the input/output status. The best way is to actually play it. If both channels work, it's fine.

The Macrotech 2400 is a high current amplifier. It can/will trip a 20 amp breaker given the chance. It's a true dual mono amplifier and, offers a 15 amp circuit breaker per Power Transformer.

Keep that in mind if you are considering buying one. Using one on a 15 amp circuit is pretty much hopeless.

It's an old touring amplifier where distros were abundant. Even if that amp was dead, it would go higher than $250.00

I sold an old Dead SA 2 on Ebay years ago for $350.00 A working Crown MA 2400 at $250.00 is probably sold already. :D

• CMS Author

Go try it if you can. If it works and doesn't appear to have been used as a wheel-chock for an Abrams tank, it's possibly worth the $250.

In my experience, nobody prices expensive gear cheap without a good reason. As Andy wrote, they are expensive to repair. If it works but has an intermittent, you've got yourself a $250 Abrams tank wheel-chock....

• Members

I'm going to check the amp out and probably buy today. The sale includes a Rane 1 channel 27 band EQ and a big rack case. I'll probably sell the EQ as I already have an EQ that I don't have much use for - one sold on Ebay for $150. So I'll net the amp in a big case for about $100. Figure at that price, I can't go wrong.

I love Craigslist.

Archived