need a basic crossover for subs

• Members

I need a basic crossover for a small system I'm parting out for light DJ use essentially. It's a pair of 118 subs and a pair of full range 12+horn cabs. Just need something to cross the subs around 100Hz or so. Cheap is good but I need it to work reliably. So, hit me with some recommendations.

I always get asked for rental stuff for parties to play CD's and MP3 players on. So I figured might as well make a couple of bucks off some old gear I have sitting around.

Or if someone has an old PL-100 or 150 can sitting around for a Peavey CS800 I could use that to. I forget what freq's they made those in.

• Members

I saw the words "basic" and "cheap", and just happened to have come across this earlier today:

Never used this, but personally have have good luck with Samson stuff...

I had not seen this one. Looks very compact but using insert Y cables for stereo connection seems like a pain. Most people that would use this cross over will not have insert cables so add another $40 to the cost.

Still kinda cool for active speaker systems when you don't carry a rack around.

• Members

An alternative would be to find a used crossover from Ashly, Rane, or someone else who makes reliable gear. A good 10 year old crossover is still a good crossover. $100 more or less should get you one.

• Members

I use a DOD835 rack mount 2/3 way x-over dirt cheap new. Plus it's made by Harmon which also makes DBX, JBL, Soundcraft,etc.... just to name a few product lines they make. Don't let the DOD name fool ya it's a rock solid product. I've use mine for the past 2 years of steady gigging without any problems at all. .

• Members

I really hate saying this, BUT, in situations like this a Behringer has been pretty reliable. Plus, since they're so cheap they're pretty much disposable. Run the system mono and when one side goes out you can switch to the other with no downtime. OR, find a better quality unit used and do the same thing. I suggest running mono because I've been in quite a few DJ situation where the speakers are put in all kinds of weird places and with mono you know that everybody will hear everything no matter which speaker they're next to.

• Members

I posted an ad in the classifieds section listing some Rane SAC 22's. There is not a simpler crossover to use and that's why I bought them. Please respond to that posting or PM me. Sorry if this goes against posting rules.

• Members

Actually USED, a dbx 233XL runs about $100 and is a nice deal. The Behringer CX2310 (or otherwise scrambled letters & numbers) works nice for about $80 NEW (the 3400 model is more confusing for a 1st crossover and not worth the extra $20-25 for a basic 2 way splitter).

Boomerweps

Archived