EQ Input Gains

• Members

Hi again,

Happy holidays to all of you. And thhanks to everyone who has helped me in the past!

Just wondering, where should you set you EQ input gains? Me specifically:

Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro /out L>dbx 131 out>L QSC GX5> JBL MRX 515

out R> Rane ME30B>R QBC GX5> JBL MRX 515

Thanks so much!

Mike

• Members

what agedhorse said above--------in a proper world you want unity or 0 , if you have that option.

gain structure..........

:thu:

Andy didn't say that ... because he knows better. You only want unity IF that's the proper spot for your gain structure. It may NOT be.

For example if your mixer has a max out that is X db more than your EQ's input then you would want to set the EQ lower by the difference. Otherwise you do not maintain your headroom.

"Unity" is not the Holy Grail.

• Members

Andy didn't say that ... because he knows better. You only want unity IF that's the proper spot for your gain structure. It may NOT be.

For example if your mixer has a max out that is X db more than your EQ's input then you would want to set the EQ lower by the difference. Otherwise you do not maintain your headroom.

"Unity" is not the Holy Grail.

i didnt say he said that. i was agreeing with him.

and, i said IF you have that option.

CONTEXT = its a good thing. :idea:

• Members

FWIW: Right or wrong, I've found it works well for me to insert EQ's within the board's gain structure whenever possible, rather than having the EQ's downstream of the board's outputs. However, I don't believe inserting mains and aux's on a Mackie 1402-VZL is possible.

Archived