8 inch replacement drivers, high quality

• Members

Am currently using 2 pairs of Carvin trx153n 3-way cabs. As an option to selling and upgrading, was curious what 8 inch drivers might show a sound improvement. I may be one of the few people who actually like these cabs. Iv'e had them for awhile and always get positive comments on the sound.

anyways, always wondering how things can be improved.

• Members

Do a search on TRX153 at the LAB on ProSoundWeb. The initial thoughts were that they were extremely great speakers for the price. THEN Evan started blowing up the mids. The mids didn't keep up with the top and bottom. The Carvin replacements 8" are now a different ohmage, don't know about any crossover changes. Anyways, other replacements are discussed, too.

Boomerweps

• Members

Maybe another question is why Evan kept blowing up mids?

Was it a power-bandwidth issue, was it a sensitivity (or lack of) issue? There are so many variables that relate to the failure of a driver that without real analysis, it's just a bunch of wild assed guesses.

I designed a commercial speaker about 15 years ago in that similar format, it was a biamped or triamped model and what I discovered was that there were some really significant advantages to an active 24dB crossover on the mid driver's high pass filter and also, I determined that the required bandwidth was optimally just a little over an octave wide to achieve what I needed. That allowed me to use a lower powered but higher sensitivity driver that was choosen based on a better sound quality for my application. that driver was very similar to the Eminence driver in your cabinets, and I had a very low failure rate. In fact, there's a loal company with 16 of those boxes and he's still quite happy with them, though they are showing their age cosmetically. They probably have 1000 shows on them by now.

Do you know the crossover parameters being used for the mid band? Without these, or a willingness to change the cabinet, any driver substitution is a shot in the dark IMO.

Also, is the driver in it's own sub-enclosure or is it a sealed back unit? That will make a hugh difference, it must be acoustically isolated from the LF section one way or another.

Archived