Samson EQ's any good ?

• Members

I don't have any experience with berhringer stuff but I see most people on line don't give their products very good reviews. That being said, I have heard from many people that their EQ's are half way decent. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Samson products.

• Members

Nothing like aspiring for the bottom.

They are 'ok', if that's all you are looking for. If it fails, does it matter?

I don't think Samson is "the bottom". I've used three of their amps, a crossover and an Airline wireless and never had any trouble out of any of them.

• Members

Agedhorse- Are you saying that you would not recommend the samson eq ? I am looking for something decent that will do the job, but not top of the line. Money is a factor at this time. What about the dbx 231 ? Any thoughts on that ?

• Members

That's a digital EQ with the faders only controlling a processor. It isn't a bad eq, the only weird thing is it takes a 1/2 second for the processor to actually make the change. Presets can be stored but the faders are static and you may not remember where they were on that program. It's meant to pair up with thier RTA as well, I just don't see the advantage myself over a DBX231 and a driverack.

• Members

That's a digital EQ with the faders only controlling a processor. It isn't a bad eq, the only weird thing is it takes a 1/2 second for the processor to actually make the change.

That would definitely be a deal breaker for me. +1 for dbx or Ashly.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Samson = NOISE

Behringer = EVEN MORE NOISE

I ditto the previous posters in going with the DBX 231 over either the Samson or Behringer. I have replaced both of my S Curve 231's with 2 DBX 231's.

The Samsons sounded like my stomach after not eating for a few days. A lot of garble that was audible when the system was quiet.

Behringer.....never again! I had 3 Ultra Graph Pro's...and there ain't nutin "Pro" about them. On all three, the pots gave out in just a few months. Which was fine with me. I wanted an excuse to be rid of them. The result, I picked up the Samsons. What a mistake.

The Samsons have a more bells and whistles; but, at a cost of sound quality.

You don't need a driverack, you don't need a limiter on an eq (get a compressor/gate/limiter for that), and just get a simple no frills analog EQ. Any sound shaping that you need to do should be done by ear, or pink nose generator. Preferably the former.

If you can't detect ISO center's, then sit down with a tone generator and learn them. By ear is the best way to eq a room. After all, the crowd has ears, not mics and electronic calibaration gear. If it sounds good to you, it will sound good to them.

The funny thing is, back when I first bought the Behringer's, I wanted DBX. But I thought "an eq is an eq". Wrong! When I bought the Samsons, even though I still wanted DBX, I thought "an eq is an eq". Guess what WRONG AGAIN! Now I have about $1000 worth of crap sitting in my garage when I should have bought the DBX first, instead.

What's odd to me is that the DBX 231 is 30 bucks cheaper than the Samson and has a noise floor more than 6 db lower than the Samson. Samson is more expensive because of the variable roll off, and the cut only. Bells and whistles.

But, if you learn to use an EQ, you don't need all that crap.

• Members

That's a digital EQ with the faders only controlling a processor. It isn't a bad eq, the only weird thing is it takes a 1/2 second for the processor to actually make the change. Presets can be stored but the faders are static and you may not remember where they were on that program. It's meant to pair up with thier RTA as well, I just don't see the advantage myself over a DBX231 and a driverack.

I think you are thinking of the current, D-2500 digital eq. The E62i that the OP brought up was a standard dual 31-band model that was discontinued a couple years ago.

I have used the D-2500 in a couple installs, it's really handy for that, because you can store your settings.

I don't have any experience with the E62, but I have used all the current model Samson S-Curve series EQ's, as I am a dealer for Samson. I would agree that they are above Behringer, but I would not put them quite on a level with DBX. They are definitely more of a bargain price EQ than the DBX is. They have been reliable in my experience, I have never had one returned for service or with any type of issues, but if I were putting together a high performance system they would not be my first choice in an EQ, but it would depend on what you wanted to use it for, too.

• Members

I still recommend the DBX, though 1 unit usd for monitors from time to time on power up all the LEDs will glow and no audio will pass. Turning it on and off again fixes this. Once it's working it never does it again, don't know why, it just does.

About 1/2 of the 10x berhinger EQ's I've had over 6-7 years now have had bad volume pots. Excersizing them brings some back from the dead, a few have had1 channel just lost. I'm selling them all to replace with DBX units.

Archived