JBL Parts...

• Members

So, I've decided to rehab my two JBL G731 wedges and I'm in need for a few parts for these 20+ year old cabs. Based on the component exploded view I need (2) corner caps 73393-011, and (2) new handle assy 68638. Anyone have these laying around in their warehouse or know of a source for getting these parts (or similar) cheap? Also, is there something easy I could do to tame a bit of the harshness on the horns?

Thanks in advance!

• Members

(2) new handle assy 68638. Anyone have these laying around in their warehouse or know of a source for getting these parts (or similar) cheap? Also, is there something easy I could do to tame a bit of the harshness on the horns?

Those handles might be difficult to source, since as I recall, they're plastic and seem to have commonly failed. It might be possible to source similar size and shape handles from www.penn-elcom.com

As far as taming the harshness of the horns, I'll suggest you could try a sheet of Saran Wrap (thin plastic food-wrap stuff) sandwiched between the compression driver and the hornflair. That might be a little tricky to do since (as I recall) the compression driver threads on to the hornflair, but if you can accomplish the task that should mellow the horn somewhat and offer protection for the compression driver. Some open-cell foam in the throat of the hornflair could possibly deliver the desired effect as-well.

• CMS Author

I was gonna suggest jacking up the handles and slipping a new MRX in between 'em, but I see you need handles:lol:

Plastic stacking corners and flush handles are common items that have similar sizes among different brands. If you strike out with OEM parts, try PartsExpress and see what's a close fit.

• Members

Plastic stacking corners and flush handles are common items that have similar sizes among different brands. If you strike out with OEM parts, try PartsExpress and see what's a close fit.

As I recall, the plastic corners on those G series were a "warm grey" color (to match the warm grey color of the cabinets), and the square stacking pattern was fairly unique to those cabinets. It might be difficult to find generic corners that bear any similarity to the origonals... might have to change all the corners to have them match (which wouldn't be all that expensive).

• CMS Author

As I recall, the plastic corners on those G series were a "warm grey" color (to match the warm grey color of the cabinets), and the square stacking pattern was fairly unique to those cabinets. It might be difficult to find generic corners that bear any similarity to the origonals... might have to change all the corners to have them match (which wouldn't be all that expensive).

Indeed, if he has to go aftermarket, total replacement is in order. "Stacking" is moot in this instance, since the cabinets would require an act of God or a revoke of the law of gravity to be stacked:lol: (well, not sideways).

BTW, let's walk down nitpick alley; have a close look at the diagram in the OP's link; the handles use two different styles and lengths of screw. Also, the corner guards only have one part number, but the M/F pattern of the interlocking isn't drawn correctly and would reflect two different parts. Tsk, tsk, tsk.:D

• Members

Despite the bad drawing on the tech sheet they do stack on their sides. It IS the same corner part in all locations on the cab. But good eye CraigV!

My cabs are straight up black with black corners Mark... unless the "warm grey" color you speak of was essentially black? Maybe they're a different iteration of the design than the warm grey cab era?

BTW - These are the first cabs I've ever had where the handles are held on with essentially sheet metal screws into T-nuts. Very odd.

• CMS Author

Despite the bad drawing on the tech sheet they do stack on their sides. It IS the same corner part in all locations on the cab. But good eye CraigV!

My cabs are straight up black with black corners Mark... unless the "warm grey" color you speak of was essentially black? Maybe they're a different iteration of the design than the warm grey cab era?

BTW - These are the first cabs I've ever had where the handles are held on with essentially sheet metal screws into T-nuts. Very odd.

Nope, the gray was just as mark described..."warm". Think of the color of EON's and Mackie 450's plastic, but rendered in ratfur.....

Yeah, I said they stack sideways, but this is harder to describe in writing and not important anyway:)

Archived