Cases for StudioLive 16.0.2 that can also fit the additional hardware needed for wifi

• Members

I'm pretty much settled on the 16.0.2 as a result of the Mackie continually being pushed back. The 12 channels isn't going to impact me for the band we run sound for most, which only uses eight anyway, and if we need a larger setup we can opt to not use the iPad and run a submix for the drums; we already have a back-up mixer on-site at all times anyway so it won't be a huge difference. Big shows that we need to be far away and need more than 12 channels, we can rent a snake. Cheaper and easier than buying one for the rare occasion we need it.

Anyway, the big thing I love about our current setup is that everything is racked and ready to go. Our mixer is in a 14U slant rack, so we wheel it into place, take off the three lids, plug in power, attach the table to the side, and our mixer rig is in place. Going to the Presonus means I can ditch the 14U slant rack, but I'd still want a case for the mixer. I don't really want to unwrap power cords, hook up a Mac Mini, and set up a wireless router at each gig... so a case that held them all would be great.

The Mac Mini and router are both very small, so either a case with some room in the back -- and copious amounts of velcro -- or a case with maybe 2U under it would likely be perfect. I considered going with a 1U rack case for a custom-built PC but it seems like the Mac Mini is small and easy enough.

Anyway, anyone have any recommendations on a case that'll handle this while still being as small as reasonably possible? Also, what would you use to hold up that case? I don't see any ATA cases with legs aside from DJ coffins or the racks like I currently use that double as a table when you attach the lid to the side.

• Members

I've looked into those Road Ready cases but wasn't sure if that was the best route. They're a bit awkward to move around and look like they'd be better for the 16.4.2, whereas the 16.0.2 would be significantly smaller.

I really like the layout of this one:

SLBPRESL1642-4.jpg

But it looks like a studio-type case; I'd need a version that had a lid that went over it. But you could easily mount a small LCD screen above it in the rack area, a Mac Mini, and a router, and it'd keep the mixer at the appropriate height for setting it on your average surface. If I had any woodworking ability I'd likely construct something like that... but that'll never happen.

• Members

I really like the layout of this one:

SLBPRESL1642-4.jpg

I'm considering making a "road case" similar to this myself for my SL24. I only want a 2U rack above the mixer connections - one space for a rack mount power strip, the other for the Driverack. I could then set the laptop on top of the 2U rack section. I've been playing around on AutoCAD to come up with a design that won't be stupid big, heavy or waste a ton of space. It's almost there...

• Members

Then you need a marketing plan because there is a large demand for this sort of solution. Take opportunity when it comes..... Just a suggestion.

I would love a similar case for my 01v96 that could house three preamps and an Audiorail on top of the console. I currently use a 16 space slant top rack, but that makes keeping on eye on gains difficult at best. I could use a separate rack, but then I have a slew of LightPipe connections to be made for each use. I want it configured so everything stay connected and visible in a way that is useful. I have considered making my own also, but sanity prevents me from trying to build what surely ought to be commercially available.

• Members

Interesting. I'd assumed something like this would already be available but I just didn't know where to get it. Maybe custom building something is a thought after all. srp72ee, I'd definitely be curious to see what you've got after you get it together. The key thing will likely be just making sure it isn't too top-heavy when transporting it if it's going to be more than 2U or so. The 24-channel Presonus probably wouldn't have any problems there but the 16.0.2 might.

Archived