• Members

Recently I had an experience that shook the shook the snot out of me. I'm still waiting on the results of medical tests to determine what caused it. I talked with my Doctor and he suspects heat exhaustion. Anyway I was reading Prosoundwebs site and found this article and thought that it might help someone avoid what I'm going through.

https://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_Hurricane_Facts/heat_stress.pdf

There's nothing worse than somethiing that sneaks up on you and you don't even see coming.

• Members

I am in the middle of a 20 day gig that involves sound and horses, summer, 100 degrees, lots of physical work. We are always reminding each other (we have 50 riders involved) to stay hydrated and pay close attention to heat issues. It's a series of entertainment shows and it's pretty much 14 hours a day straight. Us older, experienced guys pace ourselves well. Our oldest rider is 75 and the headliner. She is every bit as fit as the rest of us, rides smart not hard.

• Members

Bugzie wrote:

There's nothing worse than somethiing that sneaks up on you and you don't even see coming.

Yes... and you likely don't realize it till a few days afterwards... and it likely takes weeks to recover from.

And:  You're likely hypersensitive to it for quite awhile afterwards.

• Members

+1 on the need for hydration -- but it's not always enough either.  I count my lucky stars that I'm as fit as I am at 61 but my first mountain-bike ride last summer was on a 95 degree day -- the kind of solo ride I've done literally hundreds of times before and has never really bothered me too much.  Sure it would be an uncomfortable suffer fest on the climb with the heat but no matter how unpleasant I felt I could always just push through and cool off on the way down the other side.  Well about two thirds of the way through the one hour climb I suddenly realized I had passed through sever physical discomfort and into initial physiological shutdown. I made it to the shade of a tree and sat for about 40 minutes and then was able to continue with frequent breaks but boy, did that get my attention. Damn scary to be quite honest. And yea Mark, it took several days before I felt "right" again.  Yes I know, what do I expect at 61 but still..

Bugzie I do hope your medical tests come back positive and you can just chalk the event up to lessons learned -- but boy I do understand. Good luck on your rides Aged.  Hope we all can keep on doing what we do until 75 like your headliner.

• Members

Thanks a lot for your advice Bugzie, it also depends if you're very used to the heat or cold; over my place (Ecuador south America) we are used to be on that got weather, is normal to us over here to work in the same or more amount of Fahrenheit grades, although we use centigrades instead; so for us is hot, but not that hotter; but we can't resist the cold weather, I'm over the coast side were the heat goes on, however we are experience a good freeze weather, cold winter that we've never felt, and if you go to the mountains were the capital is (above more than 4000 m over the sea, yeah we also use meters instead of feet measurements), So you can imagine how we feel when we go to the capital of mountains that we call "Sierra" (there isn't a traduction word for that, but I can think that you guys understand what I'm talking) and we freeze over there on the high altitude; I have 2 sisters that the live over UK were they are used to be below 0, and every time that I tell them that we are freezing over here because this weird weather of coldness, both of them laugh at me saying that that isn't cold, that would be hot for them.... Just be cautious and hydrate a lot to be in shape over your weather....

• Members

I've been in the same job for over 30 years and am well aware of the need to stay hydrated. I jump in and outof a truck anywhere from 70-110 times a day. I've been slamming about 3-4 quarts of powerade zero a day. I expect that my electrolites will come back normal. I'm also a type 2 daibetic that is anal about watching my carb intake. My levels have been in my target range 92% of the time over the last 45 days. The other 8% was just above, no spikes. I ask myself how I feel numerous times during the day and still never saw or fealt this coming. This has been a scary wakeup call to say the least.

• CMS Author

Audiopile wrote:

Bugzie wrote:

Yes... and you likely don't realize it till a few days afterwards... and it likely takes weeks to recover from.

And:  You're likely hypersensitive to it for quite awhile afterwards.

I think once you've had heat exhaustion or heat stroke you are always at greater risk for it again.

Archived