QSC KW 153 and YORKVILLE LS801p

• Members

Hey guys, im planning on buying a PA System which is going to be used mainly for OUTDOOR shows with about 100-200 people (300 max) almost all the bands that we are going to work with are Metal bands, so they play at loud levels..

So Im planning on buying 2 QSC KW 153 and 2 YORKVILLE LS801p (one stack per side) and a Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2... but my main concern is if this is gonna be enough!? I would really appreciate your feedback!

• Members

Frostmind wrote:

Hey guys, im planning on buying a PA System which is going to be used mainly for OUTDOOR shows with about 100-200 people (300 max) almost all the bands that we are going to work with are Metal bands, so they play at loud levels..

So Im planning on buying 2 QSC KW 153 and 2 YORKVILLE LS801p (one stack per side) and a Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2... but my main concern is if this is gonna be enough!? I would really appreciate your feedback!

I think that would do the trick.  The only issue may be coverage to the side if it is a wide audience.

• Members

Frostmind wrote:

Also, I don't know if you have been following the new digital mixers, but there are a handful of other new digital mixers in the same general price range you may want to consider as well.

1. Allen & Heath Qu-16 ($2500.00)
  2. Soundcraft Expression Si 3 ($2500.00)
  3. Behringer X32 Compact ($2500.00)
  4. Behringer X32 Producer ($2000.00)

The A&H has a unique feature (so far) of being able to record multi-track directly to an externally connected USB hard drive (no DAW software needed).  Unfortunately, the currently shipping software does not support remote iPad control ... yet.  It is promised and in the pipe though.  

The Soundcraft's only drawback is that it can't record multi-track without an additional $1000.00 MADI card.  Other than that it is an exceptional mixer in every way.

The X32 compact is not rack mountable, but it is a nice desk.  The X32 Producer is not in stores yet (although it is shipping from the factory).  It doesn't have LCD Scribble strips like its bigger brother the Compact.  These are really cool if you have never seen them before.  As layers are selected, the naming LCD tags change to reflect what the motorized faders are now controlling.

If you are not objectionable to a mixer without a physical interface there are 3 other options as well.  These mixers use iPad's and PC's as the physical interface.  Keep in mind that this mode of operation works with the above units as well (except for the Qu-16 .... for now).

1. Mackie DL1608 ($1000.00)
  2. Behringer X32 Rack ($1500.00)
  3. Line 6 StageScape M20d ($2000.00)

Just a thought for your consideration.

Let us know how things work out.  Those LS801p's are some serious thump, and I just recently had the opportunity to fiddle with a pair of KW153's.  Really nice sounding 3 way speakers.  I think you will be very happy with these speakers.  

• Members

I know you're probably liking the tower aspect of the 153s, but personally I'm not a fan of MI 3-ways for loud aggressive rock bands. They have a delicate pristine sound quality that's best suited for lighter fare. Definitely audition first...

• Members

What do have planned on using for a monitoring system ? Since metal are notorious for playing stupid loud and screamo singers cupping the mic. Might add Audix OM7 mic is somewhat the preferred choice for screamo singer mic.

Also the SL mixer HPF sux esp with loud stage volume.  So might research on running aux fed subs which would help clean up the mix since metal bands like to drop tune way down low and can sound muddy and unclear.

Archived