Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you guys take the pursuit of star grounding....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you guys take the pursuit of star grounding....

... to the point of breaking the common ground wire inside a stereo guitar cab?   I mean, the grounds are common in the (stereo) amp, right?   So two grounds but just three feet of wire?  Could Eric Johnson hear the difference?

Serious question.

Terry D.

Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

I know guys who have done ground mods on JCM heads but they did it more to improve tube life than for sound

Did I mention the new forum sucks?

Comment

I plug it in

I turn it on

I play the **** outta it

Turn it off

I unplug it

I go home.

NO SIGNATURE FOR YOU!!

Comment

Eric Johnson can hear the difference between popcorn machines in the lobby using real butter vs. flavored canola oil.

Don't worry about that, if you can't hear a hum/buzz you're doing just fine.

<div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile&quot;</div>

Comment

• Mutha Goose
          Mutha Goose commented
          Editing a comment

Grounding schemes can have a profound influence on audio charactoristics, especially in a point to point wired amp (like make older amps). But the question is, is it worth the risk and effort to do? 

The kind of differences you will hear (unless you are fixing a problem), will not be heard by your audience, and will not make a big difference in a live performance. This really is a "if you like it and it improves your experience, go for it" type thing. 

A potentially audible difference could be using two wires instead of one shared negative ("ground") wire in the speaker cabinet. But that wouldn't have anything to do with grounding.

<div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile&quot;</div>

Comment

Unlikely to make a meaningful difference. Star grounding is a concept not a religion. I generally use a modified star ground in my designs.

Comment

Which speaker are you asking about?
            Don Boomer

Comment

• MrKnobs
              MrKnobs commented
              Editing a comment

dboomer wrote:
              Which speaker are you asking about?

New 2-12" guitar cab.   Was wired mono, I run stereo from a rack mount stereo power amp.   So the question was whether to leave the wire soldering the two jack grounds together or to cut it.   Obviously I had to separate the positive side wires.

Terry D.

Working...
          X