Kingston Trio

• Members

Way back, I did a whole string of tours and regionals with the Kingston Trio, Limelighters, Inkspots, Platters, Shirells, Chubby Checker, Mary Wells (with Bobby Womack!), and even the sole reunion gig of the New Christie Minstrels. Great acts, great songs, lots of hits and great people too.

Speaking of great acts, I worked with Don McClean and his band less than a year ago, man were they hot. Better now than they were when American Pie came out, and his new stuff was just as good IMO. PM's a Gordon Lightfoot show last week and that's another really good show. There were a lot of good acts with staying power from the 60-s through the 80's.

On a bit of a sadder note, I will be mixing my last act as a "professional A1" around the end of this month with Jake Shimabukuro, then finishing up a couple of PM/TD shows with Warren Miller's Ski/Snowboard film tour (have done 25 years with them). My audio "career" started in 1978 being exposed to some pretty inventive folks based out of the San Francisco Bay Area, many of whom went on to do big things in the industry as well. Industry folks like Harry McCune, Jim Gamble, John Meyer, Randell Smith, John Curl, Wavy Gravy, Mark Wayne, and some of the greatest artists of the west coast scene such as the new Riders of the Purple Sage, Kate Wolf, David Grisman. Peter Rowen. Michael Hedges, Tony Rice, Queen Ida, Jesse Colin Young, Dave Brubeck, Darell Anger, Mike Marshall, Pete Escovido, Santana, and so many more. I know these names won't mean much to you younger guys but they defined both the region and the era. I am going to miss this 35 year slice of my "day job" but at the beginning of this year I was offered a wonderful opportunity that kind of goes full circle bringing my experience in the field and my electrical engineering/product development experience together. I am working on product development and engineering projects for Mesa Boogie, working with Randy Smith, somebody that I have always had great respect for going back to the beginning of my career, helping him take his visions and executions to a new level. It should be very different from my Fender/KMC/Genz Benz experience, one I am already engoying and looking forward to more.

The theatre that I have been the "house guy" (PM/TD/A1 depending on the day) for the last 28 years has lost it's lease, new building owner was asking for WAY more rent than the substantial amount that we were already paying, and has expectations of all sorts that we knew we couldn't meet. This is the theatre that we restored over a period of 10 years while contnuously operating. I don't know how much more involvement I will have doing sound, or mixing, as I have no desire to go back out on the road (though I have had some interesting and tempting offers from some "old guy" crews), but will stay as current as I can in the field of live audio. I will also watch as technology develops (I am also working on developing technology) and will check in as often as time allows.

fetch?id=31278485

I also need to "thin my audio herd" as I now have way more equipment that I need.

• Members

Woah I worked with Bob Shane several times back in the 80's. Agreed they put on a good show. As I remember he liked to part hardy (I'm surprised he's still standing but some people have a constitution like a battle tank). He was a pretty decent guy if he wasn't hung over ;-). The other players he picked were superb as well. Your post takes me back :-) Thanks!

• Members

That's a pity agedhorse. Less and less people seem to care about quality these days. I'm sad that you are losing your theatre, but glad that you've found a place that by all accounts, still does care for quality and innovation. As I mentioned in a previous post, I knew someone that worked at Mesa Boogie decades ago - he was having a wonderful time there, and it sounds like you will too.

Going OT for a few seconds - I worked a jazz bar where the tech was having a difficult time getting the vocal mics dialed in during sound check. They sounded like someone had started twisted the pots and then arbitrarily stopped. He was really struggling, and I suggested he turn them down and we start flat. He told me that wasn't possible! However, eventually he had to do what I suggested. It was a waste of everyone's time and energy - a solution looking for a problem (as I believe you've said before). So back OT, perhaps you'll have time to do some clinics or seminars or write a sound book or something. Of course, I'm hoping you'll still get to do some choice gigs in your area too, but let me tell you; the sound kids out there need help. You've certainly helped many of us on this forum - and I thank you for that.

• Members
and has expectations of all sorts that we knew we couldn't meet.

I was thinking about this situation. It's a textbook example of part of my signature. "If you think "power is knowledge", you have it backwards". I'm currently working for folks that suffer from this same syndrome.

• Members
Plenty of windows have opened up, I have all the employment I can handle. It's that the theatre was more than employment, something I'm sure many of you have experienced in one way or another.

There was a club here in town called The Cave. Everyone played there, from BB King to James Brown to Mitzi Gaynor. In the early eighties (maybe before), Frank Jeltes of Kian Sound had a PA system in there. It was state of the art for those times IMHO. Sometimes in the front of the week I would get to play there and Frank would talk enthusiastically about his system and his plans for the room, and so on. You could tell he was stoked to be there and treated the gig like his baby. So yes, when work is great, it's hardly work.

For the curious here's a link (intrusive music included) http://pnwbands.com/cave.html

Archived