Curious about Linkedin job postings

• Members

I just saw a job posting from Linkedin for a product manager at an equipment manufacturer here in Vancouver BC. Because of my crustiness and reluctance to travel, family situation, and (mainly) due to my lack of qualifications, I'm not going to bother applying. I am wondering however, how many people this Linkedin post reached. Did any of you guys see this post? Would there be hundreds or thousands applying - tens of thousands? Hint, they make DI boxes and guitar pedals.

BTW Craig if this post is inappropriate due to "advertising" please deal with it as you must.

• CMS Author

No problem with this thread at all. Good questions, appropriate for here.

My guess is that the job posting should be sent to linkedin members in a reasonable radius from the job, unless you've got the ability to request that they send you postings for any relevant job (in the event you're willing to relocate, for instance) in your field regardless of location.

• Members

I've been a member of Linkedin for a while now. I'm not necessarily looking for work right now but you never know. That being the case, I'm not really active but I still get an occasional post in my inbox. I've seen jobs that looked interesting and some that I'm in no way qualified for (walk in and start writing code for some audio app??? - I seriously doubt it :-). I don't know enough about the organization to speak other than in vague terms but there might be some kind of filters or ways you can modify your profile so that it suits your needs better. Maybe others here can give you more insight.

I DO however excel at writing a paragraph (see above) that looks great but says nothing :-)

Cheers

• Members

My guess is that the job posting should be sent to linkedin members in a reasonable radius from the job, unless you've got the ability to request that they send you postings for any relevant job (in the event you're willing to relocate, for instance) in your field regardless of location.

Judging from the responses (or lack of) it seems that you are right Craig. I suppose Linked in really is a personal network, and not a blanket advertising tool. For all I know, there are restrictions on Linkedin members publicly sharing info - I haven't read through the fine print. If it really is based on networking, then I'm more impressed than I was. Actually I did get a gig through it once so that's not bad for its price of admission.

Anyway, the job looked interesting, with opportunities for travel, trade shows, manual writing, development and so on. From my brief contact with them, they seem to be a good company For a Canuck, getting job postings from them, would be like getting job postings from Mesa Boogie... for the USA folks.

Archived