• Members

Hi,

I'm currently own the following mics for live vocals :-

JZ HH1

Audix OM3

EV n/d767a x2

Sennheiser E838 (E840) x2

AKG D5 x3

For the gigs I'm doing I only really need 4 decent quality live vocal mics so 9 is a bit of an overkill. As a result, I'm wondering about getting 4 higher quality live mics?

Of all the mics that I own, I have been impressed with the tone of the JZ HH1. I find this mic to be extremely clear compared to my other mics though it can sound a touch sibilant on some voices. Also, the handling noise is pretty high. Ideally I'd like something with similar clarity but with better handling noise and maybe higher output.

I'm considering the following mics :-

Sennheiser E945

Sennheiser E935

Audix OM7

Heil PR22UT

EV N/D967a

What would you recommend?

• Members

What are you doing with your current microphones ..... and what do you like and dislike about each of the microphones you already own.

IMHO, your microphones are pretty decent already although there are strengths and weaknesses to each in different situations.

• Members

It's not that I particularly dislike my current mics it's because I recently heard them next to a Sennheiser E945 with two extremely experienced live engineers (Glastonbury etc) and we were all found it to sound far clearer without the sibilance of the JZ HH1. I've heard great things about the Audix OM7, Heil PR22 and EV n/d967a as well but haven't heard any of these in person. I am looking for 3-4 really good general/versatile live vocal mics with great clarity without sounding harsh or muddy. I will be using these on a variety of male and female vocalists cover a wide range of jazz, soul, gospel, rock and soft acoustic styles.

• Members

A microphone is application dependent.

If it is a 2000.00 mic and the wrong mic for the application then a 2k mic means nothing.

The OM7 is a mic you have to be "RIGHT ON IT" and that is what it is designed for.

If you pull away from it then gain quickly drops off.

Get a mic that is rider friendly and can be used for more then one application.

;)

• Members

You are correct that the e945 is a great mic but is it great for everyone? I'd agree with Pro Sound Guy that you really DO want several different mics to choose from. Also the OM7 is killer for high volume feedback rejection but I wouldn't call it clear & pristine (really when you're right on it they get pretty muddy due to the tight pattern - that's your trade off).

One mic not mentioned was the Telefunken M80. They are a clear, clean dynamic with a decent rejection pattern (think of a Beta 58 with a high pass built in :-). I also like Shure Beta 57's for vocals (with a windscreen). These are both built to last dynamics with a good track record.

I'm not proposing any particular mics here as (has been stated) no one mic fits all.

my .02

• Members

Thanks. Yes I forgot that about the OM7. The Telefunken M80 costs £210 in the UK so is a little out of my budget. I'm not sure I'd want the mic to sound as though it has a high pass built in as some thin vocals need a little help in the lower frequencies. My desk has a sweepable high pass and I would prefer to have control as to where this is set instead of it being preset within the mics voicing.

I have to say that the E945 looks like a good option. Also, there is a pretty good deal going on them at the moment at £126 each. Still keen to hear the Heil PR22 aswell!

• Members

It depends as much on the PA and the room as much as the singer. Slight differences in gain can yield huge differences to the ear. Have a listen to any mic you're considering for proximity (too much will make it boomy and hard to make out the words in the FOH) and off axis rejection (better off-axis rejection makes it easier to hear the mic in the monitors)

• Members
Hi,

I'm currently own the following mics for live vocals :-

JZ HH1

Audix OM3

EV n/d767a x2

Sennheiser E838 (E840) x2

AKG D5 x3

For the gigs I'm doing I only really need 4 decent quality live vocal mics so 9 is a bit of an overkill. As a result, I'm wondering about getting 4 higher quality live mics?

Of all the mics that I own, I have been impressed with the tone of the JZ HH1. I find this mic to be extremely clear compared to my other mics though it can sound a touch sibilant on some voices. Also, the handling noise is pretty high. Ideally I'd like something with similar clarity but with better handling noise and maybe higher output.

I'm considering the following mics :-

Sennheiser E945

Sennheiser E935

Audix OM7

Heil PR22UT

EV N/D967a

What would you recommend?

I have the E935 and E945, and PR22UT. The PR22UT is a utility mic and I would only use on vocals in a pinch. It is a great instrument mic for a variety of tasks, but in my opinion the handling noise on it is a bit high to be used as a vocal. You could use it, but it wouldn't be my first choice for vocals.

The Sennheiser options are both quality options.

I have been told that the EV is great for louder stages due to its off axis rejection, but I have not verified that myself.

As mentioned, having a wide variety in your mic locker allows more flexibility in using the best mic for the given task.

Good luck!

• Members

My go to mic has been the Heil PR 35 for a while. I've used it for a kick drum mic in a pinch and it poerformed very well. Dynamic with a very high output. Decent rejection. They run about $235 american , So I;m not sure if it's in your price range. Both the 935 and 945 are a decent choice as well.

• Members
Think I'm gonna pick up a couple of E945's and 935's.

I hope you find these as useful and good sounding as I have. My experiences with the e835, e845, e935, and e945 have been uniformly positive. Report back to us sometime your results and opinions, if you would, please.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Thought I'd post a quick update. I've picked up a secondhand Beyer M69 and SE Electronics condenser. I'm hoping to try these out towards the end of the week. I'll be trying these mics out alongside :-

Beyer M69

JZ Microphones HH1

SE Electronics H1

EV n/d767a

Audix OM3

Sennheiser E838

AKG D5

I'm hoping to borrow the Sennheiser E945, E935 and Shure Beta 58 aswell.

I had a chance to try the Heil PR22 and Rode M2. I found the Heil had pretty high handling noise and was way more susceptible to plosives than any other mic I've tried. I found it was too boomy on the male vocalists present. On female vocals the Heil did sound very nice indeed but sadly the popping and handling noise put me off this mic. The Rode M2 was ok but not anything special compared to what I already own.

There are a few other mics I'm curious about which are :-

EV n/d767

Lewitt MTP840

AKG D7

Has anyone had any experience with these compared to any of the other mics listed?

Thanks

Archived