Buzz noise from my wireless microphone

• Members

Hi All,

I have two sets of Line 6 XD-V35 digital wireless handheld microphone. Both are suffering from this buzz noise under loud low frequency voice. Listen to the attached audio clip to know what I mean.

http://www.maizesoft.com/misc/noise2.wav

The following are what I know so far:

1. This is not a noise from overloading the mixer or preamp, because this reproduce even after I changed to another board.

2. This is not a mic capsule problem, because I tried a Shure SM58 head with it, it still happens.

3. Put on some foam does not help either.

4. High frequency sound is fine no matter how load it is, it's just the low frequency sound that will trigger this buzz noise.

5. Both sets of the wireless mic have the same problem, not sure if they are always like this.

What could be? Any suggestion would be helpful.

• Members

Well there is something not smooth there. But how can you determine what it is? How do you know it's not the singer to begin with? That's why we test with calibrated tones.

Answers to my question above would help. :)

• Members
Well there is something not smooth there. But how can you determine what it is? How do you know it's not the singer to begin with? That's why we test with calibrated tones.

Answers to my question above would help. :)

Thanks. To answer your questions:

1. Yes, it is using XLR output to the mixer

2. The noise only happens when there is loud low frequency sound. So it definitely does not happen when the transmitter is off.

3. I can reproduce it easily by humming into it at home. So it does not vary from venue to venue.

4. I believe it's in RF2 mode, I didn't change anything as default.

5. Phantom power if off.

Again, it's not obvious, you can hear it better with headphone, but it's definitely audible in speakers when it's really loud.

• Members

I think I figured it out. The buzz noise I reproduced at home is actually my headphone problem! That's why I hear it something like a stereo source.

The noise in the recording may be another source, may be interference or overloading.

Thanks anyway. Time to buy a new pair of headphone.

Archived