help with Kawai K-11

Cerpin T

• Members

Ok first off, I'm not familiar with programming or patch editing or anything with a synth, but from what I've read on the K-11, its not the easiest to edit. I tried to edit with the Midi Quest XL Demo, but was getting an error when the computer was trying to recieve midi info. It got near the end and then errored. If anybody has had experience with the K-11 or may know what the problem is, any help is greatly appreciated.

• Members

Thank you much for the manual, I couldn't seem to find it through many different google searches. What's another good SysEx utility that I could use to stock my patches? Sorry, I'm extremely new to this as I said before.

• Members

I haven't worked with the K-11, but I have spent a lot of time programming and editing patches on the Kawai K1, K4, and K5000. I've also worked a lot with Korg ,Roland, Yamaha, etc. and I find the Kawai operating system/user interface one of the easiest to understand and to work with. I think if you spend a little more hands-on time with the synth and the manual, as you mentioned, you will find it quite easy and intuitive to program from the front panel of the synth. Also, I don't know if the K11 has built-in effects or not, but try running it through an external fx processor - you may be surprised at how good it can sound.

• Members

I'm a KAWAI fan, too.

K11 has a small but warm reverb unit. I have a GMega - K11's module version - and have made a page for GMega/K11 with information and .mp3s. I hope this will give you some hint for making sounds with it.

• Members

Thanks a lot guys. The manual has helped tremendously and I've found that yes once I knew how to program it, it is very easy to do. I was just going into it blindly having no idea what I was doing because I had not had experience with synths or programming anything other than effects pedals. However, it has seemed to be very similar.

• Members

Sealed - I just checked out your Deep Synthesis site. What an awesome resource - great job! I'll look forward to getting back to it when I have some time and explore it in more depth. I can't believe you have sound clips from so many synths. I've heard a lot about the Fizmo, but haven't actually heard one, so it was great to be able to listen to those samples - now I want one!

As you can see from my gear list, I'm a total synth freak and will be refering back to your site for info. Thanks for making this available.

My gear list:

Korg Karma, Triton Rack,

Wavestation A/D, microKorg

Roland JD800 & 990, GR33

Kurzweil K2000R & ExpressionMate

Yamaha FS1R, Emu Morpheus

Kawai K5000R, K1m

Novation X-Station

Oberheim Cyclone

• Members

and I find the Kawai operating system/user interface one of the easiest to understand and to work with.

I recently got a K11, mostly for the piano sound. I'm still trying to figure out just how to get back to the piano preset after I accidently bump a button, putting it in god-knows what mode. If I punch buttons at random, often rolling my hand about on them also, it eventually gets back to the preset mode, but it should be as easy as on the good ol' DX7, where it's easy to pick out a preset, even if you are accidentally in edit mode. Reminds me of a particular Korg I ran across once, it was stuck on the "dawn of time" preset, and I never did figure out how to call up something else.

I found several pages in the K11 manual that might help me, but I haven't had time to decipher it all yet.

• 8 years later...
  • Members

Hi all, i need your help regarding Kawai K11, i just bought it here in Pakistan and i know it is very old but still useable well in live shows, i dont know how to edit its tones, patches, banks on numbers showing 1 to 88. can you please help me? i not often see this website, you can talk me on email mwajahatw@gmail.com or skype abtex.wajahat, i will wait your valuable reply. thanks.

• Members
Ok first off' date=' I'm not familiar with programming or patch editing or anything with a synth, but from what I've read on the K-11, its not the easiest to edit. I tried to edit with the Midi Quest XL Demo, but was getting an error when the computer was trying to recieve midi info. It got near the end and then errored. If anybody has had experience with the K-11 or may know what the problem is, any help is greatly appreciated.[/quote']

Ha, I own one of these in the US. Haven't played it in years. Pretty good pianos. Nice synth key feel. But it was a BIG step backwards in the string pads from their earlier synths. It would be a fine MIDI controller though. Looks like you got the answers and the manual.

The MIDI implementation was quite simple as I recall. It is a GM synth. There was a single patch edit and a section edit. If I were you, I'd do it manually and save it. It's slow.

kawai_dtl2.jpg

Owner's manual here. Editing is in section 3 & 4.

http://www.kawaius-tsd.com/OM/K_SYNTH/K11.PDF

Archived