Wurlitzer organs...

• Members

My grandpa had a Wurlitzer organ that he got in the late 90's from a Goodwill-type store up until he died in 1999. It was it almost in mint condition that I can remember! He got it for real cheap too I think. This was a few years before I myself got into keyboards.

Anyway, I don't remember what model # it was, but it was a large, bulky heavy, dual-keyboard unit with bass pedals. It had a bunch of little console lights when it was powered up, and it had a HUGE sound to it. Built in amp I believe. We got rid of it after he passed away. Are these old organs as good as Hammonds and/or different sounding? I wouldn't know. I wish I could've been of more help here.

• Members

Wurlitzers are not going to get you anywhere except a gig in a Lawrence Welk type band. They are not rock and roll, and nobody wants to buy them. These days you have to pay somebody to come and get them.

Yup whurlitzers are not hammonds...... They are not worth the gas to haul them away. Hammond is the signature sound of rock and roll organ. rat

• Members

Garth Hudson used a Lowry organ, and it worked great for the Band. It didn't sound the first thing like a Hammond, but that was kind of the point, I think. It's not as though Hudson couldn't have afforded a Hammond.

Granted, we're talking about a Wurlitzer here, but my point is that what you use to get your sound might be completely different than what others use. If it works for you, then that's a good thing. Hell, maybe the fact that Hammonds are the "sound of rock and roll" is a good reason NOT to use one.

That being said, I love the Hammond sound. Anything can be used to good result in the right hands, though. Music would be pretty boring if B-3's were the only instrument that existed.

Those prices do sound really high, though.

• Members

You're missing my point, Mate. All I'm saying is that sounds other than the "standard" ones can be valid too, in the correct context.

Hendrix used a kazoo on crosstown traffic, for instance.

I'm not talking about the "quality" of the instrument in question, just saying that off the beaten path sounds can be a good thing, sometimes. Sometimes even the cheapest, crappiest stuff can be used as a creative tool, regardless of what it is.

That being said, I sure as hell wouldn't pay $300 for an instrument that can usually be acquired for free.

• Members

True, but Garth's Lowrey was a top of the line old tube model Festival with multiple outputs, and other coolness like pitch bend.

I had a pal with a 'porta-B' and he'd switch the thing off and then on again to get that sort of pitch bend thing. DO NOT TRY THIS WITH B4 II!!

• Members

I had a mint Wurlitzer 4022D organ with a stupid tape deck in it.

Really, they're worth nothing. I only took it because it was free and the woman wanted it to go to a good home :rolleyes: The only fun part was that it had a built-in drum machine, but you couldn't really use it. The sounds were not beefy enough for rock, and not cheesy enough to mimick a Farfisa. It was an in-between organ which almost served no purpose. I soon donated it to a thrift store. Giving stuff away is rewarding sometimes - A. it goes to a good cause, and B. they had to come and pick it up:p

• Members

Well, Booker T and the MG's were in the 60's, not the 40's. And although many assumed those early tracks were on a B-3, Booker-T actually used a Hammond M-3. The Hammond M-3 was a spinet model tube organ with tonewheels from the same period as the B-3. It does not have fold-back, which is an important element of the B-3 sound, but it does sound great. Also, you can pick them up often for around $200-400 if you look, sometimes less. They have a self contained tube amp with a 12" speaker in them, and they can be hooked up to a Leslie. Hammond sold a ton of those organs, and there are a ton still in service everywhere. Ignore the Wurlitzer organs and get an M-3.

• Members

Well, Booker T and the MG's were in the 60's, not the 40's. And although many assumed those early tracks were on a B-3, Booker-T actually used a Hammond M-3. The Hammond M-3 was a spinet model tube organ with tonewheels from the same period as the B-3. It does not have fold-back, which is an important element of the B-3 sound, but it does sound great. Also, you can pick them up often for around $200-400 if you look, sometimes less. They have a self contained tube amp with a 12" speaker in them, and they can be hooked up to a Leslie. Hammond sold a ton of those organs, and there are a ton still in service everywhere. Ignore the Wurlitzer organs and get an M-3.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. If you want the Hammond sound for around that price, an M3 is the way to go. I've seen fully functional ones go for $50 before.

If, on the other hand, you dig the sound of the Wurlitzer (for whatever reason) find a free or nearly free one.

• Members

To the original poster considering both a $700 and a $300 Wurlitzer. Tell the seller(s) that you will accept $150 each to cart them away from their houses. Do not spend any money on these.

• Members

...and reminiscence of 60's psychedelic (quicksliver messenger service).

Quicksilver was a guitar band, no organs. But what you are talking about as the psychedelic 60's sound was not a Hammond, but various combo organs of the time such as Vox Continental or Farfisa Combo Compact.

These can still be found, although Vox has collector cachet and is probably expensive.

• Members

Nicky's on "Fresh Air." As far as I know, QMS was the only band he actually joined. Funny, given that they weren't one of the top-string bands even in San Francisco. I liked their singer's voice and that jangly wall-of-treble sound they had.

• Members

Pete Townshend was a big fan of chessy home organs like Wurlitzers. You can hear them all over his demos. They're not really rock, but some of those things can sound cool and toatally original nowadays. I used to have a couple but gave them. They're too big to just have on hand and be original with. I have an M-3 which is cool, but heavy. A little more trouble than its worth. I wouldn't pay more than $75-$100 for an M-3 simply because its heavy, immobile and not actually a B-3. Cool, but just not worth suffering for. Besides, 80% of the classic Hammond sound is in the Leslie speaker, which the M-3 doesn't have. Without the speaker, its just a big piece of furnature that can't be moved without a forklift. I have a Motion Sound rotating horn which gets a great tone. Fortunately, it applies that same great tone to any cheapie keyboard lying around my house.

• Members

My parent's had a Wurlitzer "theatre style" console organ that they bought in the early 80's I think, full pedalboard, built in Leslie (though not nearly as nice sounding as a freestanding one), built in rhythm module, and a small key two or three octave synth above the two full size manuals. I played it quite a bit and actually it didn't sound bad, would have been OK for around home (way bigger than a B3). It was sold in their estate auction a few years ago, I would have taken it myself if I had known.

Clyde

Archived