Hammond L-103 advice

cruciatus

• Members

Well, i got the L-103 i've occasionally mentioned into our church and called the local Hammond Center (outside Philly) to come take a look at it. It's not currently working and i absolutely lack the expertise to check it out myself. They warned me though that the original 1-hour call is 175. Just to look at it, before they repair a single thing or whatever. I'm pretty sure, based upon what the donor said, that it's tubes and whathaveyou. The guy at the Center let me know that it's like 100 per tube or whatever. Basically it's just getting too old to repair for anything like cost-effectively. If it were the B(3)ig one that would be a different story. Can anyone confirm this? it seems like, if it's not worth it, we'd be looking at getting close to 500 to get it working--well beyond what it's worth. i'm thinking about cutting bait.

• Members

i'll tell you offline but i don't know who it is specifically. but the idea was that for 175 just to get into it with them, before any repairs necessarily, it was a losing pursuit. i think possibly the smaller models they just want to do anything with.

so are you saying it's not worth it? i don't want to pay 175 just to confirm it's fried.

• Members

funny I had an L-102 for many years and finally gave it away just a few years ago...it fully worked but had alot of scratchiness in teh pedal...also a few drawbars didnt work...I didnt want to go through a pain to get it fixed and sell it for all of 100 bucks so I just gave it away...

now the L series do have a sweet tone but its not balsy like the b3.

so I would say it sounds like 300 minumum to fix maybe more...take a look at some ads and see what a fully functioning one is going for....that might be your answer...I cant imagine they have gained alot of value over the last 20 years...but I bought mine in 1989 for 300 bucks in execellent shape...no way would I pay 500 to repair it unless it had good resale value...which I doubt.

Archived