Which one would you choose: JX-8P or Juno-60

Teoman

• Members

After all these recent Roland talks, I thought about this vintage Roland issue. Listened lots of Youtube videos (including Retrosound72) from Rolands to MemoryMoogs, Oberheims and other stuff. I ''noticed'' that I love DCO Roland sound even more than Oberheim and MemoryMoog sound. To me old Rolands plus Prophet-5 are the ultimate analog machines. I already have a mint 106 plus a 60 with some issues (almost %75 functional). The question is should I get a minty 60 to replace mine and complete the ''vintage'' Roland sound desire as a 106+60 formula or get a good JX-8P instead for extra goodies. Possible 106 and 8P overlap maybe a problem, but at the same time I feel they are at completely different leagues aside from some chip commonalities. There is something about DCO synths although people usually talk about VCO ones. I am also very happy with what I hear from my PolyEvolver rack being basically a DCO synth.

• Members

Ive owned a Juno 6 and own an MKS-70 (2 x JX8Ps). I much prefer the MKS-70. The Juno does what it does very well, (see that Howard Jones vid, equality), but if tends to sound a bit samey after a while. The JX/MKS seems to have alot more scope, and i think its a very underrated synth.

Ive actually decided not to pursue a Juno60, having fallen for the vintage Korg sound, which is quite refreshing after hearing so much Roland stuff recently which everybody and their dog seems to own. Im going to go against the flow and add a Polysix to my setup as and when the opportunity arrises. :cool:

• Members

Hmmm, two votes for the JX-8P so far. The problem with the Junos is that they are almost identical from architecture point of view, but sound different to me because of the two distinct Roland components. Having one doesn't guarantee satisfaction for the other, simply because there is a noticeable difference. By the way, contrary to common belief, I don't think 106 sounds any less warm or thick. It is just as good, but different. At the end, as you point out the architecture is limited. I hope a %75 functional 60 will satisfy my 60-sound desire in the long run. The chorus, the saw wave and the subosc don't work somehow and none of the techs could do anything. I learnt to deal with these lacking points during Cubase editing works, so still it makes me happy. As for the JX-8P, the more investigation I make the more I find out that it is one of the monsters of the 80s sound. I'm actually leaning towards the 8P as well, it has two DCOs plus very good modulation specs. It is a more ''proper'' synth specwise and can be found either locally or internationally (keyboard or rack form) as easy as a Juno. Thanks for the input guys, I feel more encouraged about 8P now. :cool:

• Members

I guess I'll add a 3rd vote. :) Last winter I bought broken, fixed up, and sold, 2 Juno-106es and a JX-8P. The 8P was the hardest one to part with. I loved the sound of it.

I've never played with a 60, but I've heard demos and it can sound wonderful. But, the 8P is cheap, get one and use it along with your 60. Get a PG-800 for it too. Then, save up, get your 60 fixed, or buy a busted-up one and swap parts to get yours fully functional again.

The 8P can do things a Juno can only dream of, such as sync and cross(ring) mod. It also has 2 envelopes, while Junos only have one. It's biggest drawback is no variable pulse width or PWM, so if you like that, definitely keep the Juno.

I think Flat Earth wants a Polysix. :) I had one once, years back, and passed on a Juno-6 at the local shop because it was practically the same from a programming/synth architecture standpoint, and similar sound-wise.

• Members

i would sell the 106 and broken 60, buy a working 60 and an 8P.

not what you want to hear i'm sure, but i've owned both the 106 and 60 and although there are a few differences, there isn't enough difference to justify owning both imho... and i just prefer the 60. :)

and yeah, no chorus or sub osc on the 60 is a very sad thing. :facepalm:

• Members

I own too many synths! I started with a Juno-6. The next week, the Juno-60 arrived at the music store and I swapped my 6 for the 60 plus the cash difference. I still have it and I agree that the chorus and sub-osc are key components of the sound. Please get your Juno-60 repaired. I would also suggest getting the DCB to midi interface. Mr. Solaris has said that the Juno-60 is most closely related to the Jupiter-8. I find the Juno-60 sounds great in the total mix.

I have two JX-8Ps and a JX-10 with one PG-800 programmer and several memory cards. The JX series is a solid sound. The PG-800 makes it very fast to tweak patches.

I recently bought an A6 and your sig indicates you also have one. I have recently focused on playing the A6 with two V-Synths.

Mark

• Members

Yes sir, I have an A6 as well. I can't sacrifice my 106 because it is really mint condition. It is hard to find one in such a great shape. Considering that I'm giving extra overseas shipment difference, it usually costs more to me than most of you :cry: That's why I have to keep the ones that costed me much... Actually, lack of subosc and chorus on my 60 made me find my own way like this: take the recording of square wave (pwm wave with zero lfo depth) one octave below the actual pwm in mono and overdub pwm+square, then use the Haas trick with 5-6 ms delay at the other channel for instant chorus. Finally make a stereo Juno-60 track with subosc and chorus :facepalm::facepalm: :lol: Sorry, I couldn't find a better idea. PWM wave with slight modulation is almost a saw wave also (I know from the 106). Still, I argue that it is %75 functional, because all voices and filters are rock solid. Here is a Poly 61 for sale locally, but already got a Trident so 8P is a better target I guess.

• Members

I already have a mint 106 plus a 60 with some issues (almost %75 functional).

Follow these steps:

Disassemble your Juno 60 and sell parts: IR3109 filters, BA662 VCAs and IR3R01 evns. Also keys, knobs, faders, potentiometers, pot & fader caps. Most of these parts are necessary for Jupiter 8 service and sell fast on eBay. This will earn you enough money for:

• JX-8P ($100) with PG-800 ($300).

• Then sell 106.

• Buy Juno 60 with DCB->MIDI converter (which adds velocity and second LFO).

:wave:

• Members

Yes. Now kindly shut up and keep it that way before it becomes Don Solarized.

I'm quite unhappy with MKS-70 editing via PG-800. It just doesn't go smooth. Because in edit mode, some keys play the patch that you are editing, some play the other board (which contains the same, but unedited patch). Really frustrating.

I might pickup JX-8P for some normal old school programming instead.

• Members

But, does the Juno have that "soundtrack" preset? HUUH?!?!

I have to say that as a great JX8P fan, I chose in it as my main analog synth for live performance, and after a few month having using it for doing all the analog stuff, I feel that it doesn't break through for some types of sounds.

I can do really dark 80s pads and leads, but the sound is very specific.

When I need a punchy bass line are a fatter lead, it feels like it is too soft for the task. I think Juno 60 would do that a little better,

but yes, it probably won't do any JP8/JX Soundtrack ;)

• Members

The JX-10 Soundtrack preset is my favorite. The 76 keys and double the poly of the JX-8P makes the EPs very playable. Also, the two patch layerd brass makes the killer "Final Countdown" brass patch.

I have the D50 VC-1 card for the V-Synth. From what I recall, the Soundtrack four tones are tuned off from octaves and perfect fifths and results in a chord that is too colored for complex four note chords (for my tastes).

• Members

IMO the JX8P Soundtrack preset is one of the best ever, and was the model for many other "soundtrack" presets to come after (including latest Halion sampler). Interestingly the exact same sound is doable on the JP8 with no Chorus involved, as you can hear on "Forever Young" into.

• Members

I'm quite unhappy with MKS-70 editing via PG-800. It just doesn't go smooth. Because in edit mode, some keys play the patch that you are editing, some play the other board (which contains the same, but unedited patch). Really frustrating.

You won't have that problem on MKS70 or JX10 if you put the patch into WHOLE mode, whereby only one 12-voice JX8P "tone" is active for playing and/or editing.

Archived