Korg Poly 800 fault-display frozen-frontpanel controls not workin

• Members

Hi All

Got this Pol;y 800 the other day-turn it on-the display shows 1.8 50 01

No ammount of pressing buttons and twiddling knobs gets the display to change

All the switches on the back panel are in the right position and then PSU is the correct rating and works

any ideas where to start please?:idea:

• Members

take the batteries out, open the back and if it's got a back up battery, unsolder or disconnect it. Wait a few hours, put it back or add a fresh one if needed and try it again.

the poly 800 cpus were notorious for locking up and freezing.

• Members

Hi

Took it apart-no memory battery. Have reseated all the socketed IC's-still nothing doin!

Could the EPROM be corrupted.

Do I need to put batteries in and re-load the tape-Im guessing it shouldnt freeze the display wthout the batteries-just have no stored sounds

Totally flumoxed!!

• Members

Just a thought-Ive heard certain sequencers connected via MIDI to the Poly 800 can cause a complete system crash-any way o rectify this via MIDI

And its true, is it not, that the Pol 800 MK1 has no battery backup other than the 6 c cells. But, removal of these should not make the synth freeze.

• Members

No, it has a memory backup battery in addition to the regular power batteries. The memory backup is a one of those "coin" cells and it's soldered directly to the main circuit board. In my EX-800 (the module version of the Poly 800), the cell had a yellow plastic strip around it's edge, that might help you identify it.

Considering the age of the instrument, it's pretty likely that the battery has died. If so, then it's POSSIBLE that the patch data has become corrupted in such a way that it's confusing the CPU and locking it up. Find a tech who's comfortable with a soldering iron that can replace it for you. The battery itself only costs a few dollars.

• Members

Hi

I am a techie, and it definately has no battery-if it does, I cant find it-is it on the main Bd, is it maybe un derneath the bd, or covered by another-I may have to take it apart

I was just putting out feelers to see if there was anyone who knew of this fault and help me (and others) to iron it out

Ive read up on it a bit. There is only a battery in the MK2 and the EX. All data is stored in the EPROM, and the sounds are backed up by the 6 C cells-so I guess its PSU, EPROM or a more major fault

Possibly time to get the meter and soldering iron out

There is a coin cell upgrade available on the web-which I will do once I get it working

Thanks for your input-will get to the bottom of this

Archived