Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could only use one of these synths live and nothing else, which one.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desert islands, uno keyboard choices, Kronos ad nauseum... obviously we've run out of interesting things to talk about.

Wake me up when NAMM opens...
    A wise man knows the difference between opera and barbeque...

Comment

Nord stage all the way and second choice jupiter

Comment

My set would be nothing without t3h supernatural marimba.

Comment

the synth action on the 80 is fantastic, where I too have never cared for the semi-weighted action of the KURZ.

I agree. Since I could probably get all the sounds I need out of any of them (though some sounds better on some than others), the action would be a big part of my choice. The Roland and the Yamaha have excellent unweighted actions, and the Nord weighted action is pretty nice. The reason I don't own any of these is just that I prefer to gig with lighter gear. Other than that, as I said, buying into your only-one-board premise, I'd prefer something into which I could load samples. But realistically, I'd gig with two boards anyway (at least).

Comment

Well. I play in band where I don't need anything too complicated. To this date I've been fine with Motif 7 and Ultranova, even the Ultranova isn't necessary but it's nice to have so I don't run out of polyphony so easily on the Motif. If this is only for live use, I'd take Nord Stage 2 as 73 key version. It would do everything I need live and do it well. All I need is acoustic and electric pianos, organs, simple synth sound and some strings. No need for sequencing or super-multilayered evolving synth sounds or so.

Comment

Kronos, by far. As a second choice, the Nord Stage 2.

Comment

Kronos, mostly because fully weighted action is important to me. IF they fix the issue with the RH3 keybed.

Comment

I'd prefer the Jupiter, but for my band, the Kronos would be a better fit.
                  My Live Gear: Roland FA-08, Hammond SK1-73, Nord Lead A1
                  My Bands: http://www.bksband.com
                  www.echoesrocks.com

Comment

For me, Kurzweil does the job whatever the task, unless I'm ITB.
                    If you need a KSP script, e-mail me! Depending on amount of work, the price can be arranged!

Folio: Zero-G - Animato | Sonokinetic - Tigris & Euphrates - Desert Voice - Carousel - Toccata - Voices Of Israel - EMP - FE | Hollow Sun - HSDV Drum Synthesiser - Music Laboratory Machines Series - RMI Electrapiano

Comment

For me, Kurzweil does the job whatever the task, unless I'm ITB.

Comment

1st - Motif XS; close 2nd - Kronos
                        Dave Smith Prophet REV2 :: Moog Slim Phatty :: Doepfer d3m controller :: GSI Burn :: Yamaha MOX6 :: Roland Gaia

Comment

Obviously Kronos as its 9 in 1 +audio tracks and Karma.
                          I am wanting, I am thinking
                          To arise and go forth singing,
                          Sing my songs and say my sayings,
                          Hymns ancestral harmonizing,
                          Lore of kindred lyricking.
                          In my mouth the words are melting;
                          Utterances overflowing
                          To my tongue are hurrying,
                          Even against my teeth they burst.

Comment

Here are the choices:

Roland JP80 76 keys
                            Kurzweil PC3K 76 keys
                            KORG KRONOS 73 keys

Just for fun, ?

Tough call, I have a 'version' of each. Oasys 88, Jupiter 80 & Pc3x

I would select the Kronos if I could have only one but its not a no brainer.
                            i like palin.
                            i think she would rattle some cages and that's what america needs.
                            ~ yumpy

Comment

Working...
                            X