Custom Leslie, for CHEAP!

Oregone

• Members

I play mostly Hammond these days. Ive hauled an M3 around for about 5 years straight now. I always ran it through some sort of Leslie emulator, which were all disappointing. I even went to the trouble of bringing my laptop/interface and ran the M3 through Native Instruments B4 to use its Leslie, which was the best success that I had had. About a year and a half ago, I ran across a good deal on a Motion Sound horn unit (the model escapes me, but its just the rotating horn and bass rotor emulated output) It was great! 2 weeks after that, I picked up a Leslie 710 (i think, it was a model that had the 2 6x9's up top and a rotating woofer baffle, but no rotating horn) empty cab for something like 40 bucks. What I ended up doing was taking the Motion Sound unit apart, mounting it in the Leslie cabinet, mounting a 15" speaker in the bottom that was connected to an Acoustic Bass head (a small unit) in which i connected the emulated bass rotor out. Now its all wired together, and no one has any idea! I'm into the whole Leslie for around $350 bucks (I had the bass head and 15" speaker) Ive been hauling and rehearsing/gigging with this setup for 1 1/2 years now with 0 issues. 100% reliable. The Motion Sound unit sounds better in the wood cab that it did in its original shell. The coolest part is that it accepts 1/4" inputs, so I can even run my Yamaha MO6 through it when the Hammond is not feasible and it sounds killer!

Here's the only picture of it that I have on my person, but if anyone is interested on the guts of it, I can snap a few pics tomorrow at rehearsal.

f3727feeb391a14d034eef36a76060f9.thumb.jpg.6583938309b920a65cc99668b3f7be51.jpg

Archived