X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E.L.O Electric Light Orchestra - CD suggestion

Hi, knew them when i was young (I am 45 now) and didn't buy their CD before. Love the vocal and music arrangement. Knew them from an OST called Xanadu. BTW, ONJ is so sweet, agree?

Pls anyone pls suggest one or two CDs that an "Entry Level" fan must buy? Is it wise to buy their Collection/essential CDs? If possible, pls also post their CD cover so that I can easily to locate in music Store.

Cheers!
    Cowby
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Regards!</div>

I liked the "Out of the Blue" album. It was a double album.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Jesus, friend of sinners, we have strayed so far away. We cut down people in Your name, when the sword was never ours to swing. (Excerpt from &quot;Jesus, Friend of Sinners&quot; by Casting Crowns.<br />
    Member of the <font color="sienna">IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS</font><br />
    A <font color="sienna">Hofner Hound</font><br />
    Hofner Club CT Semi-Hollow <br />
    Hofner Club Ct Solid Body<br />
    Hofner Icon Bass<br />
    Hofner H185 Bass<br />
    Epiphone PR5E<br />
    Ibanez AEG25<br />
    Ibanez SRX bass<br />
    Matthew 10:16 &quot;Be as shrewd as a serpent and harmless as a dove.&quot;</div>

Comment

someone from other forum told me that I should buy "Flashback". Any words ?
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Regards!</div>

Comment

Everything they did is great. Can't go wrong with any of them.

For the classic sound, try Out of the Blue. Double album with a side long epic on side 3. The Whale is an instrumental and is my favorite ELO tune. Great album from start to finish that will keep you busy for awhile.

For a more synth oriented album, try Time. It's a concept album and totally over the top.

If you liked Xanadu, the closest album to that sound is Discovery. Has a more disco sound like Xanadu.

Flashback is a 3 cd boxset. It's good but I prefer their first boxset, Afterglow. More rarities and it's more chronological.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2">Alesis QS8, Ensoniq Fizmo, Oberheim OB-12, E-MU Vintage Keys Plus, Rhodes 73 Stage, Wurlitzer 145, Wurlitzer 146B, Wurlitzer 206A, Yamaha CP-70B, Yamaha CP-30, Kawai EP-608, Hohner D6 Clavinet, Mellotron M400, Hammond M-3, Vox Jaguar, Baldwin Fun Machine, Wurlitzer MLM, SCI Pro-One, Moog Rogue, Arp Explorer I, Moog Opus 3, Arp Omni 2, Multivox MX-202, Crumar Orchestrator, Crumar Performer, Akai AX80, Akai AX60 w/S612 sampler, Korg Poly 800, Ensoniq Mirage, Roland CR-78.</font></div>

Comment

Defnitely "Out of the Blue". My next favorite happens to be "El Dorado", but I may be in the minority there.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="right">Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.</div></div>

Comment

"Out of The Blue" was one of my first albums...still like it to this day
            2006 PRS Singlecut Trem Satin Blue Matteo
            2006 Fender Custom Shop Heavy Relic 69 Stratocaster
            Eleven Rack
            Kurzweil PC88
            Kurzweil K2600
            DSI Prophet 08
            "http://www.youtube.com/user/mnewb1

Comment

Yeah me too. I bought "Out of the Blue" when I was a kid, sold it later to a friend who would eventually became my brother-in-law, and eventually bought the CD. The CD still rides in my armrest-CD holder in my car and gets rotated into the changer fairly regularly (no MP3 player dock).
              <div class="signaturecontainer">Gribs<br />
              <font size="3"><br />
              <font size="1"><i>...Music can be used to stimulate mass emotion, while mathematics cannot; and musical incapacity is recognized (no doubt rightly) as mildly discreditable, whereas most people are so frightened of the name of mathematics that they are ready, quite unaffectedly, to exaggerate their own mathematical stupidity.<br />
              </i><br />
              G.H. Hardy in A Mathematician's Apology (London 1941).</font></font></div>

Comment

1. Out of the Blue.

2. A New World Record.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_New_World_Record
                <div class="signaturecontainer">More tea, vicar?</div>

Comment

Their best two are El Dorado and A New Word Record.

The Xanadu OST with ONJ and Out of the Blue are good, too. As a double album, Out of the Blue is spread a little thin, with some great musical moments and some weaker ones.

As tspit74 said, Discovery is the album that is stylistically most like the Xanadu OST.

Comment

'Out of the Blue' and 'Discovery'

I enjoyed parts of 'Time' as well but I wouldn't choose it over the other two.

If you find a few extra dollars then spring for the 'Greatest Hits' album (the one with the Medal on the cover) to get their earlier hits as well. There is a little overlap with 'Out of the Blue'

Comment

Out of the Blue!! --- excellent!

Comment

Their two best albums, IMHO, were Out Of The Blue and Eldorado. Eldorado is probably more consistent actually.

BUT...get a comprehensive greatest hits album - my recommendation is "Light Years". (That's a link to Amazon just to prove it exists!) For entry level that is exactly what you want - this has the tracks you might like from 1980 plus the classic ones like Mr Blue Sky etc. And other retailers are available other than Amazon.

Comment

Time is a pretty amazing album IMO. (And it's pretty hard to go wrong with Out of the Blue, New World's Record or Discovery, a little disco notwithstanding )

21st Century Man is just a great tune. "So you ride on the wheels of tomorrow...You still wander the fields of your sorrow..." The whole album kind of reminds me of those great "world of tomorrow" themes at Disney or Epcot, when the "future" was 10 years ago (to us) and we were supposed to be riding in jetcars by now

Comment

Their two best albums, IMHO, were Out Of The Blue and Eldorado. Eldorado is probably more consistent actually.

+1

ELO Trivia: Brad Garrett (Robert on Everybody Loves Raymond) is the guard on the back cover of Discovery.
                            <div class="signaturecontainer">TAAKADO= The Artist Also Known As Dutch Ovenz</div>

Comment

[QUOTE=Strenge]Time is a pretty amazing album IMO.

The whole album kind of reminds me of those great "world of tomorrow" themes at Disney or Epcot, when the "future" was 10 years ago (to us) and we were supposed to be riding in jetcars by now [/QUOTE=Strenge]

Agree. A very 50's tail fin kind of take on the future.
                              <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2">Alesis QS8, Ensoniq Fizmo, Oberheim OB-12, E-MU Vintage Keys Plus, Rhodes 73 Stage, Wurlitzer 145, Wurlitzer 146B, Wurlitzer 206A, Yamaha CP-70B, Yamaha CP-30, Kawai EP-608, Hohner D6 Clavinet, Mellotron M400, Hammond M-3, Vox Jaguar, Baldwin Fun Machine, Wurlitzer MLM, SCI Pro-One, Moog Rogue, Arp Explorer I, Moog Opus 3, Arp Omni 2, Multivox MX-202, Crumar Orchestrator, Crumar Performer, Akai AX80, Akai AX60 w/S612 sampler, Korg Poly 800, Ensoniq Mirage, Roland CR-78.</font></div>

Comment

Working...
                              X