X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Akai SynthStation I-Phone thingie

I'm not into this kind of stuff, but there's a 'stupid deal of the day' on it today (10/18/2012), so thought I'd give a 'heads up' for anyone interested. $24.99 USD:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/

****************, I just bought one two days ago for $45
    <div class="signaturecontainer">My VCAs go to<b> 11</b></div>

Comment

You pay your money and you take your chances.

Just be glad it wasn't big budget item. That's happened to me many times.

Comment

OK, I was in GC the other day- the sign said $24.99 so I took it to the checkout. That sale price ended two days prior, so I didn't argue and paid $42.99. I took it immediately to a jam session and just about got my money's worth already, so I'm not complaining. Anyway, I am going nuts trying to find the proper USB cable for this thing. Does anybody in KSS land know the proper nomenclature for the USB cable?

Comment

What device are you talking about?
          -------------------------------
          Michael
          Jupiter-50, MOX6, TI Polar, Moog LP, Korg Micro X, JV-1080
          27" iMac, DP 7.24, Omnisphere, Alchemy, many more...
          http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd

Comment

The Synthstation 25. It has a USB jack on it. I can't find a USB cable with an end that matches the jack on the SS25.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by piano39
              View Post

The Synthstation 25. It has a USB jack on it. I can't find a USB cable with an end that matches the jack on the SS25.

Per the Quick Start Guide:

MINI-USB PORT
              www.guslozada.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd
                View Post

What device are you talking about?

I should have specified. That's the trouble with posting about those 'one day deals'. The become ancient history within a day, and links to them disappear.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Lozada
                  View Post

Per the Quick Start Guide:

If the cable is like the one needed for the LPK 25, you will need a cable which is not only meant for power-charging a device, but also for DATA. A standard mini-USB cable, that is.

Thanks. Very hard to find in the one horse town I live in. I had to borrow one from my IT department.

That being said- does anybody have a clue how to use this thing to it's full potential? I mean, it works fine with the Akai Synthstation app. I understand that the latest rev uses CoreMidi. I thought that this would allow me to play other apps with this keyboard. There is not a single reference to CoreMidi in the documentation. In fact, there is very little documentation ( a quickstart guide and a few paragraphs of help on the app itself).

Comment

Yes, it is CoreMIDI compatible

You can open any CoreMidi-compatible app and play it with the SS25.

It is also a USB MIDI Controller for your computer, that's why you need the MINI USB Cable!

SynthStation (software) Quick Start Guide
                    www.guslozada.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Lozada
                      View Post

Yes, it is CoreMIDI compatible

You can open any CoreMidi-compatible app and play it with the SS25.

It is also a USB MIDI Controller for your computer, that's why you need the MINI USB Cable!

SynthStation (software) Quick Start Guide

Thanks again, but....

I have both Alchemy and Animoog loaded on my iTouch. I can't get either one of these to respond to the SS25 keyboard. The quickstart guide that you linked to doesn't mention coreMIDI. Any ideas?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by piano39
                        View Post

Thanks again, but....

I have both Alchemy and Animoog loaded on my iTouch. I can't get either one of these to respond to the SS25 keyboard. The quickstart guide that you linked to doesn't mention coreMIDI. Any ideas?

Oh Crap... I was talking bull$h1t... Sorry. I have the SS 49 and it is indeed CoreMIDI.

The iPhones are different (given they don't take USB ports like the iPAD with the "Camera Connection Kit").

I apologize.

Found this:

Unlike the Synthstation49, the smaller 25 key version for the iPhone does not support CoreMIDI, instead relying it
                        www.guslozada.com

Comment

Thanks, anyway Gus.

I just plucked down $1.99 for the nLog midisynth. Makes the whole thing worthwhile.

I researched some more and found an app that makes the SS25 talk to coremidi synths.

Comment

Working...
                          X