Dem Jamz 3: Roland MT32!

xanderbeanz

• Members

I have to say this is fantastic.

Someone needs to sign you, somewhere, to do something. I don't care who or what it's for. You deserve to be successful smile.gif

Edit: I guess I should explain. You do several things well, in different musical styles, in the context of a band or of a solo artist. It's all great.

• Members

Back when I originally thought about buying an MT-32 in the late 80s, I had already bought a D-50 (which I still have and use) and wanted something that offered LA synthesis but was multitimbral. On paper the MT-32 seemed to fit the bill, but when I went in and auditioned it, it was just too noisy. Digital to analog conversion in the MT-32 was nothing like that in the D-50 -- it turns out that to save money on production costs, Roland eliminated circuitry that calibrated the DACs on the MT-32. Also you couldn't save your own patches inside the unit itself -- it required you to load them via SYSEX every time you turned it on.

Still, for people who wanted that LA sound back in the day, it was a nice unit to have. I even knew a couple of "one man band" keyboardists back then who would sequence an MT-32 as their back up band while they played their keyboard at small gigs.

Archived