Dead key on my DW8000

Awake77

• Members

I noticed last night that my DW-8000 has a dead key, and also one that sticks at times. The key doesnt stay down, it just ..how do I go about fixing this?

That is a common failure for this unit, especially when you haven't used it in a while. There are some metal contacts under the keys that benefit from contact cleaner. I think you need to dissemble the keybed from the case first. No need to take it apart any further. Just spray for each key some cleaner in there and use the key to spread it. Wipe the excess cleaner off and put it together. Worked for me.

• Members

That is a common failure for this unit, especially when you haven't used it in a while. There are some metal contacts under the keys that benefit from contact cleaner. I think you need to dissemble the keybed from the case first. No need to take it apart any further. Just spray for each key some cleaner in there and use the key to spread it. Wipe the excess cleaner off and put it together. Worked for me.

Nice, that's what I figured she needed! Thanks Raffor!

• Members

When i sorted the problem on my JD800s keybed, i came across a few keys that stopped working. It turned out to be the rubber dome contact strips.

pic in here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1705773&highlight=jd800

Im not sure if the DW8000 has the same type of mech as the JD, but if raffors solution doesnt work, that may be the next thing to check.

• Members

When i sorted the problem on my JD800s keybed, i came across a few keys that stopped working. It turned out to be the rubber dome contact strips.

pic in here:

Im not sure if the DW8000 has the same type of mech as the JD, but if raffors solution doesnt work, that may be the next thing to check.

I think there were two versions of keys with the DW8000. The later one that never gave any problems and the earlier one that did show the same symptoms as Awake77 describes. So, I assume he has the earlier one with the metal contacts. Pretty primitive design but the good thing is you can get it fixed in 20 minutes.

Good Luck!

• Members

I noticed last night that my DW-8000 has a dead key, and also one that sticks at times. The key doesnt stay down, it just ..how do I go about fixing this?

Really easy to fix. Alcohol + cloth + 30 minutes. Once you remove the key, clean contacts below and those in the membrane too. Sticky key is easy too as described in the link flat earth provided. Just check where the glue is. One of my synths didn't had the glue below (where it is expected) but on the part in the middle of the cross section, from the upper side (that part which prevents key from going up). If the glue is on the damping strip, use a small piece of paper to cover it, else you might damage the strip while pulling away the glue, and keys will no longer be perfectly raised.

• 5 years later...

Archived