Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But we're in the same ballpark preamp wise correct? Same slow rise in gain until you get to the top of the "pot"..... then it really rises fast?
    I really wonder if I'm over-thinking this?
    Analog Cabin Recording

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by e.maynard
      View Post

But we're in the same ballpark preamp wise correct? Same slow rise in gain until you get to the top of the "pot"..... then it really rises fast?

Well that's actually another point of differentiation...the OC has a single data knob for adjusting gain, instead of individual controls for each channel. I kind of forget about the knob because I use the auto-level function so much, and if I need to adjust multiple parameters, I usually use the software mixer applet.
      Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Hi Mr. Anderton. I am a total novice. My daughter is a classical vocal artist (Asian Indian Classical).

I reviewed your wonderful articles on octacapture and that convinced me to get a unit.

I have the octacapture and am trying to simultaneously use it for DAW (sonar XI) interface recording and amplify the signal from the outputs of the octacapture (using Audio 2000 AKJ 7000 amplifier - 180watts per channel)to a pair of speakers. Speakers connected to output of amplifier.

Mic attached via TS plug to Input 1 of octacapture. Adjusted input sensitivity to near max.

The output is from 1 and 2 of octacapture (Mix A setting) and I am using a TS plug (not TRS plug) in each output and through cable ending in RCA to AKJ7000 amplifier's RCA input (Left and Right).

The signal is very weak and I have to turn the amplifier's vol control knob to max to hear even a little bit of the voice input from mic. (DAW recording is beautiful, though).

Maybe I'm not doing something right.

Please advise ! Thanks.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by sureshprabha
          View Post

Hi Mr. Anderton. I am a total novice. My daughter is a classical vocal artist (Asian Indian Classical).

I reviewed your wonderful articles on octacapture and that convinced me to get a unit.

I have the octacapture and am trying to simultaneously use it for DAW (sonar XI) interface recording and amplify the signal from the outputs of the octacapture (using Audio 2000 AKJ 7000 amplifier - 180watts per channel)to a pair of speakers. Speakers connected to output of amplifier.

Mic attached via TS plug to Input 1 of octacapture. Adjusted input sensitivity to near max.

The output is from 1 and 2 of octacapture (Mix A setting) and I am using a TS plug (not TRS plug) in each output and through cable ending in RCA to AKJ7000 amplifier's RCA input (Left and Right).

The signal is very weak and I have to turn the amplifier's vol control knob to max to hear even a little bit of the voice input from mic. (DAW recording is beautiful, though).

Maybe I'm not doing something right.

Please advise ! Thanks.

First, welcome to Harmony Central! I will try to help, but there are a lot of variables. Fortunately, there is no reason why you can't do what you want to do, so it's just a question of making sure all settings and connections are correct.

Check the software application that sets the direct mix levels and routing. Also, check the Main Output volume control setting, and the switch to its right that determines whether it controls both headphones and main output, or just headphones. If it's set to only headphones, then you definitely need to check the output level setting in the software editor. Also, try selecting Phones + Main with the volume control down, then turn up the volume control to see if you're getting the proper levels.

If this doesn't help...we're try something else.

Comment

• Hi Mr. Anderton,

Thank you for the deep review and awesome info! I'm looking at purchasing either the Quad or the Octa.

Is there any disadvantage to using the Quad if you don't need 8 inputs? I notice it's bus powered - is this because bus power is enough for the 2 Class A pre-amps or because the pre-amps are not the same as the Octa?

I'm mainly interested in potential sound quality differences but I'm also curious in usability differences - for instance can you still use independent phantom power switching for each of the 2 mic inputs on the Quad?

Thank you very much for your time,

Steve

Comment

• Hello, Mr. Anderton. Thank you for such an in depth, great and very informative review. I recently purchased the Roland Octa-Capture for recording my brother and his band's live music. I do have a specific question regarding the product since I'm not really sure how to do it. I was wondering how to get the stereo mix output to work with the interface. I use the Octa-Capture as my main soundcard on my laptop. I also use stereo mix output to play music and broadcast audio, along with a microphone usually, into chat rooms. How would I enable stereo mix with this interface? I've been trying to figure it out, but I couldn't. I also have the Creative SoundBlaster 5.1 Pro USB external soundcard. For that specific external soundcard I can enable stereo mix output by just simply enabling the "What you hear" option which is the same thing as stereo mix. I hope you understood my question and thank you again in advance for the the help you could give me.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by fwoty
                View Post

Hi Mr. Anderton,

Thank you for the deep review and awesome info! I'm looking at purchasing either the Quad or the Octa.

Is there any disadvantage to using the Quad if you don't need 8 inputs? I notice it's bus powered - is this because bus power is enough for the 2 Class A pre-amps or because the pre-amps are not the same as the Octa?

Unfortunately, I haven't used or worked with the Quad, so I don't really know anything more than what's on Roland's web site. But, Class A preamps do take a fair amount of power, so you bus-power theory is a good one.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by hellsingxiii
                  View Post

How would I enable stereo mix with this interface?

How familiar are you with the control panel application that comes with it? I'm not sure I totally understand your question, but I'm pretty sure that's where the answer lies.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                    View Post

Unfortunately, I haven't used or worked with the Quad, so I don't really know anything more than what's on Roland's web site. But, Class A preamps do take a fair amount of power, so you bus-power theory is a good one.

Thanks for the reply - I'll try contacting Roland support and see if they have some info. Thanks again for the amazing thread!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                      View Post

How familiar are you with the control panel application that comes with it? I'm not sure I totally understand your question, but I'm pretty sure that's where the answer lies.

I've finally enabled it somehow. I just kept on tinkering with the control panel and some audio settings on my computer. I record what I broadcast and mix some songs live so I went with the Octa-Capture. It is a such a nice interface. I also sometimes broadcast and and record my brother's band. Now, for live gigs and performances should I still get an audio mixer console to connect to the Octa-Capture or is it good enough on its own for those? Also, is it good enough to hook the Octa-Capture directly to some powered subwoofers and powered speakers with amps built in them? What monitors do you use with yours?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by fwoty
                        View Post

Thanks for the reply - I'll try contacting Roland support and see if they have some info. Thanks again for the amazing thread!

It should be enough to power the Quad-Capture since it has way less Class A preamps compared to the Octa-Capture. BUT...I hope that you know that the Octa-Capture is made in Japan. The Quad-Capture is made in China. I trust the Japanese more with electronics and such, but that's just me. I hope that helps a bit with your decision even though the Octa-Capture is more expensive.

Comment

• good enough on their own its like having 4 seperate mixers. Just buy few elcheapo stereo to xlr adapters around $2 each

Comment

• Caould you help me with my Octa Capture? How to make this unit grounded? Which cable should I use? Can I connect ground cable to my APC SurgeArrest PF8VNT3?

Comment

• hi all

i have UA-101 and im in my way to buy OCTA Capture, i hate the way UA-101 Patch Bay work, i use 8 outputs from UA-101 to 8 Inputs Mixer, and UA-101 input 1 for Condenser Mic,

in UA-101 Patch Bay there is only 2 things in every output "INPUT so i can hear my MIC input ONLY and WAVE OUT so i can hear DAW out ONLY"

i cant hear both at the same time, any idea what about OCTA Capture ?

Comment

• hello,

any one here have OCTA Capture ? :smiley-anyone:

Comment

Working...
                                X