Roland Octa-Capture Interface - Now with Conclusions

Anderton

• Members

I should have mentioned I'm a Sonar user. I like the new X1 but they added more clicking around.

The VS things don't really interest me as I prefer to input the numeric values myself. I think I'm going with the OC.

I Appreciate the response. Thank you

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Guitarpima View Post
I should have mentioned I'm a Sonar user. I like the new X1 but they added more clicking around.
I've logged quite a few hours with X1, and I think the key to faster workflow is screensets and keyboard shortcuts. "D" is my favorite - type it to show or collapse the dock.

I appreciate the response. Thank you
Hey, that's why we're here smile.gif

• Members

Thanks for the in depth review Craig. I have owned the VS-700 for almost a year and have been looking at the Octa Capture for expansion. One question I have is about the headphone mix with both used together, do you have access to all 16 channels in the mix, and are all 4 mixes available with 16 channels, or a single 16 channel mix, or do you have to choose your mix from the separate 8 inputs from each unit independent of the other?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ModmanQ6

View Post

Thanks for the in depth review Craig. I have owned the VS-700 for almost a year and have been looking at the Octa Capture for expansion. One question I have is about the headphone mix with both used together, do you have access to all 16 channels in the mix, and are all 4 mixes available with 16 channels, or a single 16 channel mix, or do you have to choose your mix from the separate 8 inputs from each unit independent of the other?

If I understand your question correctly...the extra inputs show up just like regular inputs on the VS-700, it's as if the V-700R had another bunch of inputs...nothing more, nothing less. However, of course things like Auto-Sense work only on the Octa-Capture as that's built into the O-C hardware.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

If I understand your question correctly...the extra inputs show up just like regular inputs on the VS-700, it's as if the V-700R had another bunch of inputs...nothing more, nothing less. However, of course things like Auto-Sense work only on the Octa-Capture as that's built into the O-C hardware.

No, I'm wondering specifically about the direct headphone mixes. Each unit, the R700 and the Octa Capture provide either 1 or up to 4 mixes (OC) of their 8 inputs. I want to know if their combined 16 inputs can be mixed in a single direct headphone monitoring mix (or 4 via the Ocata Capture's new upgraded abilities). My fear is that they are going to remain independent of each other's direct mixes and the accumulated 16 channels will have to be run through the outputs of the softwar with latency from the long round trip.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ModmanQ6

View Post

No, I'm wondering specifically about the direct headphone mixes. Each unit, the R700 and the Octa Capture provide either 1 or up to 4 mixes (OC) of their 8 inputs. I want to know if their combined 16 inputs can be mixed in a single direct headphone monitoring mix (or 4 via the Ocata Capture's new upgraded abilities). My fear is that they are going to remain independent of each other's direct mixes and the accumulated 16 channels will have to be run through the outputs of the softwar with latency from the long round trip.

The direct mixes remain independent for each interface, however, one could serve as a sub-mixer for the other and latency would not be a problem. For example, you could assign the Octa-Capture direct mix out to outputs 7/8, then patch these into two inputs for the V-700R and you could use those with the V-700R direct mixer. This would mean giving up two V-700R inputs, but as it's expanded with the O-C anyway, you probably would have enough inputs.

• Members

Would this be considered a nice upgrade from my EMU 1820M? The concern I have is all my bass recordings have that "wooly" bottom end (all basses I have run thru it). I saw a post in this review stating the same issue which I gather is a result of it being a low to mid end preamps.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbass12

View Post

Would this be considered a nice upgrade from my EMU 1820M? The concern I have is all my bass recordings have that "wooly" bottom end (all basses I have run thru it). I saw a post in this review stating the same issue which I gather is a result of it being a low to mid end preamps.

I don't think you can go wrong here. I just ordered one today! Craig's review was extremely helpful in deciding on the OC. I'm upgrading from a 1616m.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarpima

View Post

I don't think you can go wrong here. I just ordered one today! Craig's review was extremely helpful in deciding on the OC. I'm upgrading from a 1616m.

I think I'm going to get the O-C to replace my 1820m. It's served me well for many, many years, so no diss on something designed that long ago that's still viable. But I also wouldn't mind reclaiming the PCI card slot, either.

• Members

Great review! I'm thinking of buying one myself...

Could you or anyone else post some recordings of acoustic guitar done with the octacapture? A few seconds would do it.

Do you consider the preamp gain enough here? I see others advertise at least 60... Sorry if this sounds dumb but I'm a noob biggrin.gif

Another thing, the compressor... What's the use of having one here, if it only works after A/D? Live sound? Any other use for it?

Thanks.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Anderton View Post
I think I'm going to get the O-C to replace my 1820m. It's served me well for many, many years, so no diss on something designed that long ago that's still viable. But I also wouldn't mind reclaiming the PCI card slot, either.
I've had mine for a few days now and I can say, "what's an E-MU?" lol! I noticed a difference the moment I first played something through it.

Great bit of kit!

• Members

View Post

Hey, if you are referring to my earlier statements, I would not really say that the octa-capture sounds wooly at all. My bass is set up to be pretty smooth/wooly on its own due to the pickups and strings I have on it. The Octa-capture has what I would call a clarity around the low end, but I do find that it can make my particular bass jump out from other instruments in a mix more than I want it to, since the low end is standing out and tends to be kind of widely separated from the other instruments I have available to record atm (acoustic guitar, voice, synthesizer).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gjk12040

View Post

Have you already done the graph thing with the VS700r that you own? Is there any differences at all?

Craig, if it's not too much a pain in the @ss I'd like to know this info too. Would it be possible?

• Members

View Post

I just upgraded from a 1616m and it is not in the same class as the OC. I pluged my bass direct to the OC and it sounds great. I was very pleased with the sound and surprised that the compressor is as transparent as it is. I was never able to go direct with my E-MU. I never thought it sounded good. The OC on the other hand, amazing.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by midimonk v3

View Post

Anyone try this on a mac?If

I'm using it on a duo core 2.GHz Macbook?OSX10.6.7 with Reason/Record. At 96K sampling freq the latency is 4ms in and 1ms out. Way better than my previous interface (it also sounds better)

• Members

At 24/44.1 I was running 1.1 ms latency at 48 samples direct monitoring with several IK Multimedia S3 plugs. I could never do that with my old E-MU. I ran an old project that had about 30 synths and maybe 40 vsts. I could run it at 128 samples with no glitches.

I am working on a project now using 24/96. I will be recording the bass direct (which I'll do from now on since it sounds better direct than any other way) and am looking forward to seeing the results.

• Members

So I got back from Frankfurt, and when I booted up the computer, started experiencing major problems with Windows 7 - everything ran incredibly slowly (as in, several minutes to open device manager).

To make a long, vexing, and frustrating story short, something had gotten scrambled in the motherboard and somehow messed up Windows on the C: drive when I booted. I took the battery out of the mobo to let it drift back to its defaults, bought a new system drive as the old one was useless anyway (I'll reformat it and use it as a data drive, but I wanted to keep it around for while to make sure I really had gotten all my data off of it), and started re-installing programs and such - I'd only been using W7 for about six weeks, so I didn't consider the system "finished" enough to image for a restore.

So of course, I wanted to use the Octa-Capture smile.gif but it refused to install. I un-installed the driver, re-installed...no go. Uninstalled/re-installed again...still didn't work. It showed up as a working device, the control panel was there, everything seemed correct; but it didn't show up as an option in Windows or Sonar.

I started scrolling through system parameters and saw that VS-Expand was still enabled from my testing with the VS-700 prior to my going to Frankfurt. I thought that might be the issue, so I initialized the unit, re-did the installation, and all was well.

Now this is probably something that will affect only a handful of people, if ever, but thought I'd mention it just in case it keeps someone who has a VS-700, Octa-Capture, and a sick computer from tearing their hair out.

• Members

Craig,
Thanks so much for this review. Ordered an O-C yesterday to replace my Tascam FW-1884. It has worked well for me for nearly 7 years, but since moving to Win7, I've had problem after problem. Really looking forward to experiencing the ease of use and sound quality this unit offers.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by zzzxtreme View Post
hi anderton, thanks for the review. for the price, would u recommend anything else ? maybe something like "Oh for $150 less you can get XYZ for $150 less with 90% sonic capabilities of the Octacpture". just wondering
Well, I would need a lot more data about your intended application, as there are so many different interfaces and each has its own niche Is DJing important? Then you need to be able to cue without sending signals out the main bus. Do you plan to expand your system with lots of mics, and want to use an octal mic pre with an ADAT out? Then it better have an ADAT in. Do you expect onboard DSP? Small size because you plan to do mobile recording? Do you need individual phantom power for each mic input, or is it okay to apply it in groups? Firewire or USB? etc. etc. etc.

Clue me in...

• Members

hi anderton thanks a lot !

I plan on using 8 mics first, then stack another one 6 months later. Phantom power on 3 inputs would be nice to have (but thanks behringer for the cheap phantom power supply).

primary purpose is to record drums (8mics) to trigger drumagog vsti. also record guitars, bass, keyboards, vocals - all separately of course. ok I understand now the autosense is no compression but more to line level inputs, but would it be a nice feature to have for amateur budget recording studio ?

second purpose is to use this together with a PC to serve as a fully digital jamming studio mixer (no cabinet amps) . 2 guitars, 1 bass guitar, 1 keyboard, 1 vocal mic, and 3 mics for the drumset. then 2 or maybe 4 output to active loudspeaker.

I have somewhat "audiophilic" ears, so I'm quite concerned about preamp recording quality. for the connectivity, USB would be ideal though. seems like octocapture is quite a good deal, but I wonder if anything can match its price-feature. thanks anderton

• Members

Hi Craig. Thank you for the review. I am trying to decide between the Octa-capture and the Babyface. I am having a hard time deciding. I use X1 and W7 64. I like the auto sens and having more than two inputs but can't see needing more than four at one time... I could live with two if the BF is really that much better. Some people tell me that the pres and converters are better on the BF. Of course the RME is a bit more expensive to...
If you have any opinion on comparing the Octa and the BF i'd love to hear your thoughts on it. The Octa-capture sounds really good to me and I am not convinced that I would hear much difference of get lower latency from the BF... but I really don't know, I need help.
Thanks,
Julien

Archived