Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi guys, I'm getting a "problem" recording 8 tracks last saturday. I only realize it hearing them today. Could this be a sign of computer being too busy or setting the samples buffer too low ?

it happens every few minutes, and it is present in all tracks and all the same times

http://soundcloud.com/nickchanabdullah/problem

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
      View Post

The reason for that claim is because round-trip latency is system dependent.

I guess that's why TAFKAT is compiling his "low latency performance database", because that 1 ms spec really doesn't tell you anything. I'm curious to know how the Roland interfaces would fare in his tests –- but he apparently hasn't succeeded in his attempts to get a unit to test.

By the way, it's worth mentioning that, unlike the Octacapture, the Quadcapture is bus powered – no power supply needed. Makes for a very portable mobile recording set up. I assume it still has the class A preamps, though maybe Craig can confirm that. Whatever they are, they sound good...

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by etunity
        View Post

I guess that's why TAFKAT is compiling his "low latency performance database", because that 1 ms spec really doesn't tell you anything. I'm curious to know how the Roland interfaces would fare in his tests –- but he apparently hasn't succeeded in his attempts to get a unit to test.

I really don't think you'll find a huge difference among quality interfaces with good drivers. Latency is just part of the deal with computer-based recording.

The one way to get a definite improvement is to use a PCI card-based interface as it doesn't have to deal with any layers imposed by USB and Firewire.

The TAFKAT ratings are helpful, but his ratings are a composite of the latency performance, which of course makes sense - you want to know how an interface will perform under a variety of conditions. However, if you look at just one number of sample buffers then the interpretation is somewhat different. For example, if you look at the performance at 64 samples, the highly-rated RME FW shows 5.6ms of round-trip latency. But one of the Steinberg interfaces that scored worst overall has a latency of 7.1ms, and the StudioLive mixer, which also didn't rate that highly overall, had an RTL of 6.5 milliseconds. I honesty don't feel that a difference of 0.9ms between the StudioLive and the RME is going to be a deal-breaker when recording. If I'm playing guitar and stand 11 inches further away from the amp, I don't hear an obvious difference in a room with decent acoustics (i.e., moving my head doesn't put it in a place where comb filtering effects are significantly different).

One factoid: I knew one player who found the latency with virtual instruments "unacceptable" so he switched back to an older hardware digital synth. He didn't realize that not only were there delays due to the D/A conversion, but the keyboard scanning caused a delay of several milliseconds. I didn't tell them because then I knew he would obsess over the hardware keyboard He felt it was okay and that's all that mattered.

As a guitarist who uses amp sims, I'm concerned about latency. As long as the RTL difference is in the "flanging" range, I don't really care. But if it gets into the "slapback" range - which to me starts around 10ms - then I can't enjoy the playing experience.

By the way, it's worth mentioning that, unlike the Octacapture, the Quadcapture is bus powered – no power supply needed. Makes for a very portable mobile recording set up. I assume it still has the class A preamps, though maybe Craig can confirm that. Whatever they are, they sound good...

I haven't tried the Quad Capture so I don't know, but I doubt a company would re-design their preamps completely for another product in the same product line. Class A preamps draw a lot of power compared to other preamp topologies, so it's not surprising that if you cut the number of preamps in half, bus power would be sufficient.
        CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

View Post

The TAFKAT ratings are helpful, but his ratings are a composite of the latency performance

Yes, with his composite ratings, he's trying to show the real-world performance of the cards at various latency settings, and this clearly varies from one interface to the next. I honestly don't know why there'd be any difference between two different USB interfaces, but apparently the world of PC drivers is filled with complexity and danger.

Still, it's evident that my problem has nothing to do with a deficiency in the Roland drivers. Most likely, an RME or Mbox USB interface would also be malfunctioning on this machine. I just need to figure out why...

And I probably should, as you suggest, just get a PCI interface. But my computer is in a different room, and one benefit of a USB or FireWire interface is that plugs and knobs remain at your fingertips. But for a low latency fanatic, it seems that PCI is really the solution.

Thanks so much for all your help and advice, Craig!

Comment

• Are you using a high-speed USB cable? I've been told it does make a difference for reasonably long runs. The spec for maximum cable length with USB 2.0 is five meters (about 16 feet).

Comment

View Post

Are you using a high-speed USB cable? I've been told it does make a difference for reasonably long runs. The spec for maximum cable length with USB 2.0 is five meters (about 16 feet).

I've moved the computer nearby for troubleshooting, used different cables, etc.. And I've tried three different machines now! Almost makes me wonder if it isn't a defective Quadcapture. Or if the Quadcapure is somehow different from the Octa...

Now I'm assuming that when you and others say they're getting stable performance at 48 samples, you mean zero ASIO errors, right? Because I often don't actually hear these errors -- Samplitude just shows the error count, and then, if there are a lot of them, pops up a window advising me to increase my buffer size.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by etunity
                View Post

I've moved the computer nearby for troubleshooting, used different cables, etc.. And I've tried three different machines now! Almost makes me wonder if it isn't a defective Quadcapture. Or if the Quadcapure is somehow different from the Octa...

Now I'm assuming that when you and others say they're getting stable performance at 48 samples, you mean zero ASIO errors, right? Because I often don't actually hear these errors -- Samplitude just shows the error count, and then, if there are a lot of them, pops up a window advising me to increase my buffer size.

I don't have anything that monitors error count, so I'm going by ears and zoomed-in waveform view only.

Comment

• Thanks to this review, i bought an octa and absolutely love it. Upgraded to V1.50 without any real issues although it kept telling me that an earlier driver was installed when it was clearly not and that there was an installation problem (i followed instructions to the letter ) I went round in this never ending circle for a while but just ended up installing it from the device manager and locating the v1.50 file manually.Worked perfectly. Have really low RTL 5.3m. 64 samples @96khz. So stable i could possibly go lower.

Look forward to seeing if its sonically better than my aged delta 1010!

Thanks

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by wizard71
                    View Post

Look forward to seeing if its sonically better than my aged delta 1010!

I think I know the answer to that one

Comment

• Hey there,

I just read your review on the octa-capture, and it looks amazing. I'm currently on the search for a good budget audio interface, and from what I've heard, the Quad capture is basically the same as the octa, but with less features. (Still the same pre amps, from what I hear). I was wondering, if based on your extensive knowledge on the Octa, could you compare the Quad capture to the Komplete Audio 6? Both seem like great interfaces, but I'm not really after the extra outs and ins the KA6 sports, just sheer quality in parts and latency. (especially in the preamps). I'm not really sure on which one has the best quality in drivers/preamps.

If you could help, that'd be great.

Comment

• Just as the member above me I'm in the market for it's little brother, the quad capture. As it's main purpose will be recording a vocal mic and my guitar (Either through my Boss GT-8 via S/PDIF or over a mic or via direct input/Guitar Rig) the quad seems perfect.

One thing I fail to understand however is the way the headphones work. Can you select what you want to output on them? And with the Direct Monitor, what does it play?

Would it for example be possible to use the headphones as a cue-output for DJ work with something like Traktor?

I suppose these are more general audio interface questions but I guess there is someone here who can explain it to me :-)

By the way, excellent thread this, really, really helpful!

Comment

• Hi,

thanks for the review,

Maybe a stupid question but, is it possible to send the inputs (mic, guitar, bass, drum, ...) one on one to the output?

I mean, for example:

input 1: vocal

input 2: guitar

input 3: bass

Output 1: only vocal

Output 2: only guitar

Output 3: only bass

I need this configuration because we will mix different instruments, during live performance, with a table mixer (easier then mixing on computer).

If this is possible, what configuration do I need?

thx

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Jekster77
                            View Post

Hi,

thanks for the review,

Maybe a stupid question but, is it possible to send the inputs (mic, guitar, bass, drum, ...) one on one to the output?

I mean, for example:

input 1: vocal

input 2: guitar

input 3: bass

Output 1: only vocal

Output 2: only guitar

Output 3: only bass

I need this configuration because we will mix different instruments, during live performance, with a table mixer (easier then mixing on computer).

If this is possible, what configuration do I need?

thx

It couldn't be any easier. Just go to the Device menu in the Octa-Capture Control Panel, and select "Directly Output the Inputs." Input 1 will go to output 1, input 2 to output 2, etc.

Comment

• Hello,

I'm new here.

I own an old M Audio FW1814, and I'd like to update it. I wonder, comparing to the M Audio FW1814, if it's worth getting a Roland Quad or Octa Capture and if it will improve something (preamps, converters quality...) or if it would be better to save my money and wait to buy a more expensive interface like Motu, RME...

thank you

Comment

• octacapture is awesome for recording

1) Output 1-2 : Studio monitors in the console room. Nothing is heard during recording, because i set virtual mixer "input out" to zero

2) Output 3-4 : For recording "redirecting" the vocals from INPUT 1 to the PA speaker. The virtual mixer(B) enables me to SOLO the input 1

3) Output 7-8 : connects to the Headphone amp for the drummer. Using the virtual mixer (D), I mute other channels except guitars and bass

all is done INSIDE the octacapture

Can any other $500-600 recording interface do this ?

Comment

Working...
                                X