Spalted maple finish needs work, what to do?

Gaetano Paul

• Members

Hey guys. So I have a spalted maple neck through tele type guitar here. I love this thing. The spalted maple is very soft and brittle, and there are areas, particularly where the pick hits, where I have borne through the (satin????) finish and its just the raw (soft) spalted maple. I am really digging this Minwax fast drying clear gloss for enclosure, I had thoughts of glazing the front of this guitar with it, for protection and beautiful look of course. Is this a good idea? If not what is a good idea?

TELESTUDIO2-e1310094282445.jpg

• Members

It's hard to say what it's been finished with. Lacquer has the advantage of easy touch up. I'd be inclined to strip it to the wood and properly sealing it. Then hit it with some clear satin lacquer. Check the Reranch site for a tutorial on guitar refinishing. Time well spent.

• Members

I'd be inclined to strip it to the wood and properly sealing it. Then hit it with some clear satin lacquer. Check the Reranch site for a tutorial on guitar refinishing. Time well spent.

My only hesitation would be if I can just do that for the top, or would I have to do back and neck etc basically the whole guitar. Its a neck through so its completely connected.

• Members

You may want to get a can of lacquer, remove the bridge and spray it there see it. If the lacquer isn't compatible, you'll know right away. Tape off the bridge area before removing it. Then if it gets really fugly and bubbles up, who's gonna know?

• Members

You can test to see what kind of finish is on there already in an area you cant see well. Scratch at the finish

in a hidden area with a knife and see if the finish flakes or peels.

You can also use some denatured alcohol in thet area and see if the finish melts.

If it flakes and melts then its lacquer.

If it peels its an oild finish or poly and it wont ment with alcohol.

Lacquer is easy to overspray. Tape off the area, clean with some naphia to remove waxes, light sand, and use some spray lacquer.

try not to overspray the tape, rather feather it out in that direction using very light coats. Then you can buff it out.

Oil finish, all you can do is strip off waxes. Then wipe more oil over the old.

If the wood was discolored or damaged, it will show to some degree. Oils and polys

go on in layers like an onion so new layers dont melt into older layer like lacquer does.

Poly just plain sucks for repairs. Its a plastic finish and all you can do is do some patch jobs dabbing some

new poly over the old with a paint brush or overspraying, or strip it and start over.

• Members

You can test to see what kind of finish is on there already in an area you cant see well. Scratch at the finish

in a hidden area with a knife and see if the finish flakes or peels.

You can also use some denatured alcohol in thet area and see if the finish melts.

If it flakes and melts then its lacquer.

If it peels its an oild finish or poly and it wont ment with alcohol.

Lacquer is easy to overspray. Tape off the area, clean with some naphia to remove waxes, light sand, and use some spray lacquer.

try not to overspray the tape, rather feather it out in that direction using very light coats. Then you can buff it out.

Oil finish, all you can do is strip off waxes. Then wipe more oil over the old.

If the wood was discolored or damaged, it will show to some degree. Oils and polys

go on in layers like an onion so new layers dont melt into older layer like lacquer does.

Poly just plain sucks for repairs. Its a plastic finish and all you can do is do some patch jobs dabbing some

new poly over the old with a paint brush or overspraying, or strip it and start over.

You can easily touch up poly by sanding in an area and spraying over it. A small airbrush is great for it. I've done it, and it works just fine. Then just buff the area so it all blends in right. It's obviously not as easy as lacquer, but it's not exactly hard.

Archived