No announcement yet.

We just lost a lesser known, but great guitar player, Gil Orr

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We just lost a lesser known, but great guitar player, Gil Orr

One of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. I'd been acquainted with him for many years as he was a long time member of the Chanteys (Pipeline), and half of the Surf duo (sans bass and drums), the Duo Tones.

Facebook notification by Greg Lawson:

"Very sad to announce that 1/2 of this great guitar duo passed yesterday. Gil Orr died in the early morning from a hard 5 yr battle with cancer. His pair up with Paul Johnson of the Belairs on this awesome acoustic versions CD of classic surf hits is an absolute must have in your collection. I was able to spend a good part of last Monday morning and early afternoon with Gil in the care facility he has been in recently in Dana Point. Gil's body just ran down but his mind and spirit was as sharp as any. Gil was one of the finest guitar players I've had the pleasure to know. He taught a young Ricky Nelson some of his first guitar chords and was mentored and played with Merle Travis. His playing was heavily jazz influenced and he was a well loved and respected studio musician. I was one of a group of players privileged to play Tuesday afternoons with Gil on the patio of the Newport Beach American Legion. My favorite song on this CD is Baja Nights which Gil wrote. Give this a listen if you want a smile on your face. Spending Monday with Gil has had a profound effect on me. He told me before leaving that he was ready to meet Jesus. Does not end better than that. RIP Gil."

Gil Orr played a part in the era of popular music known as the Surf Sound. With the steady growth of instrumental hits in the late 1950s and early 1960s, Orr performed and recorded his guitar-playing
    My Web Site - Tunes - Pictures - Guitar Projects - Native American Style Flute Projects - Hard Rock Cafe Guitar Pins
    My Eclectic YouTube Channel

Cancer sux.

My condolences to his fans, friends and family.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Working...
    X