The all-buttons "British" mode (1176)...

144dB

• Members

Hey all,

I've got the original UAD 1176, and when it first bowed, they made a big deal about the fact that it emulates the all-buttons-in mode (aka "British mode").

Having tried this sound a few times, I'm struggling to find it's appeal. It sounds to me like a buzzy, slightly overdriven signal.

What songs or artists made this effect popular?

• CMS Author

I've got the original UAD 1176, and when it first bowed, they made a big deal about the fact that it emulates the all-buttons-in mode (aka "British mode").

Having tried this sound a few times, I'm struggling to find it's appeal. It sounds to me like a buzzy, slightly overdriven signal.

There may have been a benchmark song, but mostly I think it's something that got attention when there was an article about a soon-to-become-famous producer. It's how these things go.

I never heard it referred to as a British technique. I only heard of "British EQ" but that was because British consoles were the first to have more than a couple of knobs to alter the frequency response. And there never was such a term until an American console manufacturer, quite probably MCI, included a multiband equalizer in each channel and chose different frequencies and passband slopes than on the British consoles, thinking they had a better idea. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

I think that All buttons In got the British association due to Hugh Padgham's use of it on a certain Phil Collins track... (In The Air Tonight) - he claimed it was a big part of the drum sound on that track... but supposedly so was the SSL talkback mic's compressor. I prefer the expression "All Buttons In" rather than British Mode. Hey, it's an American compressor from California... I seriously doubt the British were the first to try an 1176 with all the buttons pushed in. :)

Archived