Cubase 7 or 8 users: How is the boot time?

144dB

• Members

Hey all,

I'm a long-time Cubase user, presently using version 6.5. The boot time is ridiculously long (it always has been, it's not a hardware issue), and I'm wondering if this has improved at all with later versions. Version 6 probably takes 2-3 minutes to come up.

It will be a while before I upgrade (I hate the lost time with changing software), but if the boot time has improved, it would be one more reason to do so. Sometimes it's the small things that irk you.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

I'm not a Cubase user, but I can bump the thread until one comes along... ;)

Is your long Cubase loading time aside from VST scanning? Because, obviously, rescanning your VST assets (particularly if they are scattered) can take a long time -- and in some DAWs, there are different scanning management options.

• Members

Ah, Windows...me too. Your question could be just as easily rephrased as "Why does SONAR take so long to boot up," "Why does Studio One take so long to boot up," "Why does Pro Tools take so long to boot up," etc. BUT here's my next question to you: After Cubase boots up, wait a few minutes, then close it. Open it again. Does it open up a lot faster? SONAR, Studio One, and Pro Tools all do.

My theory is that if you boot shortly after Windows boots, Windows is doing so much housekeeping that it keeps your computer active for several minutes, and booting something intensive like a DAW is competing for those CPU cycles and hard drive platter times. But frankly, that's just a guess because I'm no computer expert.

Windows 10 does seem better than Windows 7, though. You don't have much time left to get W10 for free, but I recommend doing so. SONAR is definitely snappier on Windows 10, as are my other programs. In fact I'm going to start a thread about the countdown to W10 no longer being free in the near future in case people have questions or comments...

• Members

I notice that with some applications, but not Cubase. CATIA at work will be slow to boot on the first try, but it will launch quicker afterward. Cubase is always slow. Wavelab is pretty quick, especially by comparison.

When I do get a new PC (~2017), it's going to have an SSD boot drive.

Archived